Leak Help

ChrisH1989

I have been working on this 2000 banshee I bought with problems, needle valve in one of the carbs was bad, motor leaking at a few seals, re-doing entire brake system, and now I'm finally at a problem I'm not sure what it is. There are 2 nuts on the bottom of the motor that appear to leak when the motor is warm. A mechanic told me it sounds like the oil in the gas is separating and leaking from there, I rode the bike for an entire day and checked the oil in the motor and it seemed to be full still

More than likely it's coolant leaking at the tube that goes into the clutch cover... The o-ring on the tube gets damaged or rolled and it will leak past the tube then drip through the drain hole in the center of the cases below the cylinders... ALWAYS lube that o-ring with assembly lube or RTV before you install the clutch cover... Remember lube is your friend! LOL

More than likely it's coolant leaking at the tube that goes into the clutch cover... The o-ring on the tube gets damaged or rolled and it will leak past the tube then drip through the drain hole in the center of the cases below the cylinders... ALWAYS lube that o-ring with assembly lube or RTV before you install the clutch cover... Remember lube is your friend! LOL

Pretty sure this guy answered your question correctly. It will look like it is leaking from the bolt, but the coolant is actually leaking by the o-ring and running down the hole in the middle of the cases down onto the bolt. I've ran into this problem before. I only knew it was leaking because I had the bike parked on concrete.

When I say bottom of the motor I mean underneath, don't really see how that could be coolant

I knew what you meant... if you look up from the bottom of the engine there is a 1/2"-5/8" hole that goes through the cases to let water and crap drain so it does not sit on the motor.... When that o-ring leaks the coolant runs down out that hole and looks like the "bolts" (which are actually studs with nuts on them) are leaking.

It could be the clutch actuator shaft leaking oil and draining down through that hole in the cases.... But more than likely if you had the clutch cover off at any point it's the o-ring on the coolant transfer tube.

If your carb bowl overflow hoses are missing or short enough that they don't go to the back of the motor, fuel leaking onto the top of the case will drain down the above mentioned hole in the cases and drip off those 2 studs with nuts. I've seen it happen. Thought I was going to have to split the cases the night before a ride. Turned out it was just my carb needle and seat leaking.

• Like 1

^^^ What Starwriter said^^^^ That is another possible leak from up top.... Those studs draw the cases tight around the crank pod section of the cases.... For it to be leaking there from the inside out would also cause a massive air leak through the cases which would cause a lean condition. The trans oil is seperate from the crankshaft area inside the cases... The oil in the cases is for the trans and clutch only... The only part of the crank that is in that oil is the PTO side...