Can a thin base gasket make a huge compression change?

I replaced the paper base gaskets with OEM base gaskets and I get 160 psi now. Only a 10psi drop. It has to be the pistons that are the variable. They are the same brand name but the there were differences in the construction of them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want your gauge to read higher, just thread it into the head more.

that could be why your snap on is reading higher. you want to thread your gauge as much as a spark plug.

the snap on i used actually didnt even thread in as far as my craftsman, the craftsman couldnt even give me the same reading after many tests, the snap on was the same everytime.

Never said they didnt. just that it is not usually done that way.

^^This.

The reason being (besides everything already mentioned) is that it changes the MSV of the domes (which really is what dictates a lot of what fuel you can run, along with compression RATIO),,not JUST the kicking compression. 

^^This.

The reason being (besides everything already mentioned) is that it changes the MSV of the domes (which really is what dictates a lot of what fuel you can run, along with compression RATIO),,not JUST the kicking compression.

You have to remember 95% of people on this fourm dictate what fuel they run by what the kicking compression is, Why? I have no clue.