Head studs pulled out.

BlksnshN

Putting my engine back together after getting my cylinders back and three of the head stud pulled out while trying to torque the head.  

So,  it looks like I'll be doing some heli coiling.  

Where is a good place to buy stock replacement studs?  

Personally I would use a keen sert instead of a heli coil. They are a much better thread repair but the have a larger outside diameter. An M8 keen sert has an outside dimensioned an M10 bolt. You Gould have room for that on your cyls.

SP ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376529847.579632.jpg

I looked at the time/keen serts but I'm not real enthused about the price for a kit.

I've used Helicoils in many different applications in the past, including cylinder head bolts on  a 13 -1 compression 355 V8 with no issues.   

I'll check with a couple sponsors.

Edited by BlksnshN

those keen serts are the best fix, helicoils suck.  try looking up time serts they are similar to the keen serts, maybe less exspensive. 

if you don't want to spend $ drill and tap the holes to 10mmx1.25 install a bolt with Loctite cut it off and drill and tap it to 8mmx1.25 . I have done this fix it takes time though to get it rite though.

I looked at the time/keen serts but I'm not real enthused about the price for a kit.

I've used Helicoils in many different applications in the past, including cylinder head bolts on  a 13 -1 compression 355 V8 with no issues.   

I'll check with a couple sponsors.

You don't need to buy the kit.  The tool to install them with isn't necessary. I just use a bolt with a jam nut.  Lock the jam nut to the keen sert and install with a wrench on the jam nut.  Once it is flush, hold the bolt with another wrench and loosen the jam nut and thread the bolt out.

SP

• Like 1

Or did you mean there is not enough material to thread in the heli coil?

If you can't find what you need, PM me and I can send you a few.

SP.

One of the holes had already been heli coiled and that pulled out as well.  Didn't notice til today.   Honestly surprised me as I've used a ton of them in the past with no problems.  

So,  the Keenserts seem to use a larger drill hole than a Heli-coil but I'm having trouble finding them, except on Amazon at $10 a piece.   At this point,  I want to do all of the holes.  If you have some, I'd be happy to Paypal you some $$$.  

I pm'ed you a little bit ago.  

Edited by BlksnshN
  • Like 1

Not sure how to get to my PMs on my phone with tapatalk. I can get with you tomorrow. You looking to do one or both cyls?

I would like to do both.   Hoping to get it done by next weekend.  

I'm searching everywhere for these things. 

Edited by BlksnshN