Another "best pipes for Serval" discussion.

jayzx10r

So if I'm in the market for a set of inframe drag pipes, which would be a better choice for a lightly cleaned up serval for 98% duning at Glamis? 

Minor mods- 33PWK's, VF3's, pump gas domes.

I'm on the fence on porting...

I'm mostly after a reliable torque whore sand bitch. 

Recommendations are appreciated.

this is pretty simple...  in my pipe dabbling findings simply put  the serval needs a pipe suited for its particular build.

most "shelf pipes ( fmf t-5 t-6 dmc etc) are designed for a smaller flange motor.  pipe design revolves around flange diameter a LOT.  the cub/ serval has a much larger inn dia flange than the stock banshee cylinder.  the cylinder as stated above flows way more than a stock banshee cylinder, has more capacity that a stock banshee cyl and is also more of a heat monger unlike a stock banshee cylinder.   soooooo  NO pipe will work EXCEPT the ones designed for those types of motors. only thing commercially available is the "drag pipes"   most are designed with either a ported stock cylinder ( larger inside dia on flange) OR the cub with its larger inner dia.  BUT  those pipes are also built around a 7500-11,000 rpm range.  not 2500-8500rpm range as the serval is intended.

so in my humble opinion the "best" pipe for a serval is not available yet.  price aside the best comercially is the sniper ( i dont care about the bullshit)  NEXT is the shear.  those are the only 2 pipes besides custom built i would personally run on a serval build.  

just my opinion  take it for what it is  free opinion, based on experience

this is pretty simple... in my pipe dabbling findings simply put the serval needs a pipe suited for its particular build.

most "shelf pipes ( fmf t-5 t-6 dmc etc) are designed for a smaller flange motor. pipe design revolves around flange diameter a LOT. the cub/ serval has a much larger inn dia flange than the stock banshee cylinder. the cylinder as stated above flows way more than a stock banshee cylinder, has more capacity that a stock banshee cyl and is also more of a heat monger unlike a stock banshee cylinder. soooooo NO pipe will work EXCEPT the ones designed for those types of motors. only thing commercially available is the "drag pipes" most are designed with either a ported stock cylinder ( larger inside dia on flange) OR the cub with its larger inner dia. BUT those pipes are also built around a 7500-11,000 rpm range. not 2500-8500rpm range as the serval is intended.

so in my humble opinion the "best" pipe for a serval is not available yet. price aside the best comercially is the sniper ( i dont care about the bullshit) NEXT is the shear. those are the only 2 pipes besides custom built i would personally run on a serval build.

just my opinion take it for what it is free opinion, based on experience

What about CPI? Is there something you don't like about them? Or is there a design flaw that you think won't work with the serval?

Redline has done some impressive builds with servals and cpi's

What about CPI? Is there something you don't like about them? Or is there a design flaw that you think won't work with the serval?

Redline has done some impressive builds with servals and cpi's

CPI pipes tend to favor higher port timings and higher compression than the Shearers in most of the bigger bore cylinders like the Cub and Serval. Overall combo maters when it comes to finding the sweet spot for a pipe choice. But so far I haven't seen many examples of a better pipe choice for a Serval than the SB In-Frame Shearers.

The Nate McCoy quote that the OP posted does a decent job of explaining why the drag pipes work on a lower RPM design like the Serval.

CPI pipes tend to favor higher port timings and higher compression than the Shearers in most of the bigger bore cylinders like the Cub and Serval. Overall combo maters when it comes to finding the sweet spot for a pipe choice. But so far I haven't seen many examples of a better pipe choice for a Serval than the SB In-Frame Shearers.

The Nate McCoy quote that the OP posted does a decent job of explaining why the drag pipes work on a lower RPM design like the Serval.

Ive heard a couple people say that same thing,,,that CPI favored higher port timings and more compression,,yet if you compare a 68mm bore Serval ( a LOW port timing motor) with CPIs vs Shearers , the general consensus is that the CPI yield the better  TQ curve. I know i tried CPIs and Shearer (both Small Bore inframes) on our 421 Serval and came to that same conclusion....CPIs yielded the better TQ curve, and the Shearers yielded more RPM, a little more peak power, and over-rev capability.  That comparo was with an "as cast" Serval, then ported( ports not raised).

I have some SLP pipes that have a larger and longer chamber then my FMF fatties. There like shears kinda and after reading CAMATV post I got thinking what head pipe size they have so I measured the out side diameter after the flange it was 1 5/8" and the FMF are 1 1/2" just wondering what size the head pipes on the CPI and shear small bores are? http://www.startinglineproducts.com/image.cfm?type=detail&imgID=1901