A little bit of a different spark coil question. But a simple one.

Hey, for reasons that will become clear at a later time, I have replaced the entire guts of the ignition system except the pickup coil and the spark coil.  The new CDI is providing a perfect sawtooth wave 12 volt signal to the coil but the spark is weak to non-existant.

Before I start checking everything I need to know if the coil is designed for 12 volts or something higher.  If that's the case, it's working as designed and I just need a 12 volt coil.

Thanks a lot!

The ends have been off and on many times but I'll give them a closer look.  I'll also verify the ohm reading of the coil primary.

Thanks.

OK, I checked the ohm reading on the coil and it comes out to .5 ohm.  Is this correct?  If so, my main question is still whether the coil is designed to operate at 12v or something higher.

Thanks.

I'm getting it sorted out bit by bit.  Shoot, if it comes down to it, I'll just ride my F650GS down and mess around in the dirt on that!

Ok, your issue is you put a dc cdi on an ac set up. You need to get correct coils and also a dc/ac inverter to bump up voltage to a lot more than 12vdc. As 12volts isnt enough power to cross the gap. It takes 400volt to cross .001", 1000v to cross .006" and 3000v to cross .119" of air.

Also, why did you do this?

I figured it was something like that.  I'm measuring the 12v on the input side of the coil, not the output side.

I'm just doing this as an experiment in digital control ofver spark and such...

Thanks.

OK, still working on this.  Tonight, I ran it and I noticed that one side is kind of "purring" at a regular rate when idling while the other side is popping and cracking.  I switched the wires on the plugs and the problem switched sides so I guess I'm looking at a different coil one way or another...