frame

The time isn't the issue. The build is the whole point of this and if it could be cost effective. The answer is yes. In this used market more people are selling more complete piece of shits than ever. When he starts this he can make a build thread and have some fun with it. Everyone is going to have questions... So what it's part of the game. I'm not at all saying he SHOULDN'T buy a complete bike first. Just giving my opinion and views on how a piece by piece build can be done easily.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair warning...IF you decide to buy a frame that does not have a title... (I DONT CARE IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOESN'T CARE blah blah blah.....)  YOU will be held responsible and have your bike taken by law enforcement if it comes back stolen.  Doesn't matter if it was in your state or not. 

Lets say you build this bike....your out beating it good and get stopped by a DNR officer or a cop who is just checkin things out.  He decides to run your VIN number just to make sure the toys aren't stolen.......yea who cares in Kentucky you don't need a title....blah blah blah.  Then that sinking feeling hits when he tells you the VIN number is coming back as stolen from California.  Now guess what.....your in possession of stolen property.  Ohhhhh......but you didn't know........ya....like the cops never heard that before.  Okay.....now the best things happens.....they let you go without deciding to prosecute you.........but they're going to keep your bike.......you know that right?  But what about the $4k of parts you put on it?  You don't mean dick to them anymore.........can you prove those are your parts?  Cause they just proved that was a stolen bike..........how do they know if it was stripped down and rebuilt by you or 8 other guys? 

Basically......its not a good idea to buy without a title.

You want a hobby, i get it. Buy a whole bike and then tear it down to the frame and build it up to your specs. It will cost you less in the long run and you will still have the knowledge and the accomplishment of building it. I bought a bike and stripped it down to the frame and built it how i wanted. The parts i didnt want i sold to fund the parts i did want. If i would have just pieced it together part by part i probably would have a couple grand more into the bike then i already have. Hope this helps.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help fellas.. looks like im gonna go get the vin # and have my uncle run it..

I don't know about you but my brother is a cop. He refuses to run any VIN for me. If he were to run it it throws a red flag if stolen. Now obviously headquarters knows he just ran a stolen vehicle. It'll look odd if he dosent show up with that stolen vehicle on a flat bed.

Just because it comes up not stolen, doesn't mean you can legally own it. It could be an unreported stolen that somebody somewhere legally owns. It could be a situation where drug addict son sold dad's bike for drug money. It could be financed and a bank is a lien holder on it. If you dump $4,000 into it and some day someone says, "Hey that's my bike. I have the title to it", Bye, Bye.