SQUISH

04_blu_shee

New topend bolted on jugs and head tonight checked squish its at .036-.037 is that too little for clearance and gonna be catastrofic or can I run it. I mainly Drag race its a dune port with 19cc domes running 50/50 mix 91 pump VP110 I need all your professinal answers.

I would say that is too close if its a gas motor and you make back to back passes with it. You can get away with alot if you stay a little rich or dont get it hot. I have run squish tighter than that on an alky motor with big bore pipes and it didnt build as much heat into the head and piston. If you run tight squish and want to keep it safe make sure to run only maybe 4 degrees of timing. Is it a stock stroke with 19cc domes? What pipes? Gas or alky? Im assuming gas.

Yea Radar im running +4 gas motor stock stroke and bore .040 over was running T5's and going to run CPI inframes. I should probably call Jeff and get  thicker gaskets coming. Before my rebuild I had right at .041-.042 squish that was with an 8yr. old crank and a 2yr. old topend...I installed a 350 Hotrods crank this time around I wonder if my tolerances are tighter now everything being new.

It would have to be base gasket thickness, I doubt an old crank would give you much difference but maybe . Are you using a different caliper thats maybe off a little? I would definately give Jeff a call. He may say its fine with the serup you have especially if its his domes and base gasket that he knows usually runs fine.

Jeff sent me different base gaskets bolted them on squish is at .040-.041 thats what I was lookin for I also pressure tested it lost 4psi in 6 min reed/intake gaskets leaked like a biotch, a lil RVT now I have an air tight motor. Getting closer.

pistons, cranks rods lower bearings upper bearings will all have +/- tolerance's.  it is very possible that with al the new stuff and possibly some differnt thickness gaskets that is what caused the super tight squish.  on drag motors this is always checked at least on the ones i have built.  to me  its way to tight  but i like a loose motor and run more timing and better fuel mixtures.