Tranny Design

boonman

Wow!!! One of the first times I have been in this forum.. I was talking with someone yesterday, about an idea that I have for a drag setup. it deals with the whole bike, but the tranny was one of the areas I thought needed some work from the current overide setups. What if I could get a tranny to work like an overide, (not losing any time on the clock) but you could shift up AND DOWN through the gears at will. :shock: It occured to me mainly for sand dragging, mostly when you aren't racing and just want to just ride around a little bit and not worry about spitting shift forks and what not..... And what if I could computerize the bike and all you would have to do is launch, pin the throttle, and hang on untill the end, and the bike does the rest. Like an automatic transmission of sorts. I am also working on a cheap tach as well. Consistent as all hell I think it would be. :twisted: I know I can do it, and I was just curious as to the demand for such things...... I don't know, perhaps this type of thing already exists. And if it does, someone please let me know.....

Just get rid of the tranny all together and run a clutch system out of a sled. A buddy of mine is in the process of building a banshee with a 670 rotax in it for drag racing 140 hp before any mods. You just point it and hit the throtle, no gears to worry about, just hold on and go. It requires lots of fabricating, custom pipes etc. but it should be well worth it in the end.

how much time are you willing to invest sounds like a great idea.check this out,how about aCo2 bottel with a typical cylinder+piston set up with a return spring.with something fabbed like a rachiting shift star applied over where the shifter bolts on.rpm activated of coarse off that tach thats in the works.that way the mechanicals could be accesable+simple.you would have to manually downshift,but would'nt lose any of the stock shifting procedures.activate the bottel ,point it,pin it,hold on! done yet

how much time are you willing to invest sounds like a great idea.check this out,how about aCo2 bottel with a typical cylinder+piston set up with a return spring.with something fabbed like a rachiting shift star applied over where the shifter bolts on.rpm activated of coarse off that tach thats in the works.that way the mechanicals could be accesable+simple.you would have to manually downshift,but would'nt lose any of the stock shifting procedures.activate the bottel ,point it,pin it,hold on! done yet

I am willing to invest as much time as it takes. And on the sled clutch thing, this isn't for a rotax motor. It is for a shee motor. And just throwing sled clutches on a bike doesn't mean it is going to work. There can be more money in the hole with having on hand different helix' on hand for clutching changes and what not. it is not an exact science. More so on the trial and error system. Unless you have alot of money and can graph everything on a PC. I have run sleds in the grass and been on some record setting runs. I know what it takes to get there. I would rather make a setup that can work just like everyone is used to, and still be able to take a cruise around without worrying about all the othr crap that goes along with an override..... And I don't think it will cost a ton of money. The tach I have in mind is giving a slight problem. it is only accurate to 10,000 RPM. I may be running over that mark. We'll see when the time comes. But, it should work for 90% of the bikes out there. (the tach) and the tranny design should work for 95% of the stock trannied bikes... Hopefully. Those are my goals, and I will achieve them in one way or another. THings on the testing front are on hold right now, I am supposed to be moving this weekend. And moving into my new house. Although with all the grief the friggin mortgage people have put me through, I am gonna flip out..... :angry: but, all will be well in a little time..... :ph34r: