Countershaft won't seat correctly????

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get the countershaft to seat correctly with the mainshaft :x

The gears between the mainshaft and countershaft are matched up but the countershaft won't seat all the way in the case, so the top case won't go on.

I tried taking off the shift forks and reinstalling them and still the countershaft wont seat correctly. I even tried moving the shift drum around but still no fit.

WTF is going on here? Anyone have any idea what I should do besides sell Banshee parts for scrap. SOOOOO frustrated since installing the trannie should take minutes not hours/days.

The gears are aligned and seated as far as they'll go together; however, notice the gap. The half clips for countershaft are seated on the bottom half of the case as the Clymers manual instructs (One on big seal/bearing side and one on small bearing side) . There are no half clips on the top case half correct?

fac352a3.jpg

fac352a0.jpg

fac3529d.jpg

The large gear on the rear shaft on the bottom picture looks like the kick start idler gear. It should be outside of that case if it is indeed that gear. Check on Alba's website for the break down of the entire gear set.

I have the kickstarter gear in a ziplock bag. The two shafts are the transmission mainshaft and countershaft.

When I removed both shafts, no gears were moved nor any bearings removed. They are installed in the same setup they were removed except now they won't seat flush.

Have you tried to push the clips down into the case before setting the gears into the cases? Sometimes the the clips don't seat all the way down like they should and they cause the gears to sit high. Another thing to check is the shift forks. Make sure you have the correct ones on the correct shafts. I know this stuff sounds stupid and you have probably checked them already but do a double take just to be sure.

Have you tried to push the clips down into the case before setting the gears into the cases? Sometimes the the clips don't seat all the way down like they should and they cause the gears to sit high. Another thing to check is the shift forks. Make sure you have the correct ones on the correct shafts. I know this stuff sounds stupid and you have probably checked them already but do a double take just to be sure.

I checked out the c clips and they're fine. The only doubt I have is the shift forks, but I took them off and put them on multiple times and they are exactly as Clymers instructs. I'll keep at it and if all else fails, look for brand new Patriot ported cylinders, matched case, DVF 2's, trued/welded crank, and new pistons on ebay! I am so ready to part this sum bitch out and buy a new YFZ 450 already!