No More Renthal Bars For Me

robert0762

Second pair of renthal bars I had break on me.  First pair was from a roll which I understand .  This time I was just playing around and they snapped .  I have never wrecked or rolled the  shee with these bars on .  Im just glad I wasnt haulin ass or landing a jump .  So whats a good pair of strong bars to replace these ?

th_GOPR0010_zpsf95eb2e0.jpg

I'm guessing you have two issues going on.

#1 - Your over tightening the clamps and crushing the bar at the base.

#2 You have those bars raked real far forward. Your bars should be close to the same angle as the steering stem. Your putting a twisting force into them rather than a pushing and pulling force that is in the same plane as the crossbar.

But I can understand not trusting any brand after a breakage. If your worried about breaking another set.....Fast Flex.

Been riding hard on these for probably a year jumping pulling wheelies whoops hard hits all that good stuff. I would rather them bend instead of my stem . This scares the hell out of me cause I blast up those tracks pretty fast and there are some rough spots of whoops that I am pulling hard as hell on those bars just teyin to hang on.

Damn. I have used renthal on all my bikes and quads for the last 20 years. I raced mx and harescrambles with them. I have taken some nasty spills and havent even bent a set of renthals yet.

Like windy said, are you tightening them down correctly with the brackets the right way? If you crush the bars none of them will hold up

I had this happen to me about 12 years ago, I had over tightened a set of aluminum bars and they snapped on me out at silver lake dunes here in MI wide open in 4th gear drag racing. Busted my bike all up and ended up on Vicodin for quit awhile. No aluminum bars since then. ALL steel now, just like the stellar bars I have now from finch!

Been riding hard on these for probably a year jumping pulling wheelies whoops hard hits all that good stuff. I would rather them bend instead of my stem . This scares the hell out of me cause I blast up those tracks pretty fast and there are some rough spots of whoops that I am pulling hard as hell on those bars just teyin to hang on.

You look like a taller guy. (Like me.) Start with some bar risers or a longer stem. If your putting that much abuse into your bars....your riding posture is part of the issue.

Pulling force on the bars should be UP not Back. (Like your trying to pull the stem out of the bike.

Pushing force should be DOWN not FORWARD. (Like your trying to push the stem out the bottom of the bike.)

The crossbar is there to help prevent the bars from bending up or down. You want the force to stay in line with the crossbar and the clamping area.

When you roll bars forward, the crossbar has zero effect. (Notice when your bars broke, they broke at the clamp first, then the crossbar cracked at the mount because the bar was pushed forward.

A steering stabilizer will lessen the abuse the bars get in the rough stuff and will lower the abuse your arms take as well.

I've got 20+ years of Rental use with no issues. (One set is 15 years old.....I really should freshen those up. LOL) One set of Moose bars...but those were on a 400EX and that bike was built for rolling. LOL

Yeah, Too tight is when the allen wrench strips out.  :lol: