Trams trouble shifting into fourth

petenorth

My transmission is giving me trouble shifting into fourth gear. Trail riding it does great. When you are racing it, it's about a 60/40 chance it will not shift into 4th. It is like it is not there.

You have to wait it seems about 2 seconds then it will shift into it fine.It does not do this every time you race it though. Clutches are fairly new also. This is the only gear that is a problem.

Any help would be great. Thanks

4th gear hump on shift drum is getting worn! Does it feel like it goes to a false neutral? If so your gna have to split and inspect the drum. This happened to my friend on both his 250r and banshee. On the banshee he ignored it and the shift drum broke in half, destroyed entire trans!

crazycracker

the banshee transmsiion has a couple of problems when you start to get higher than 45hp.  the added stress makes the gears bang into its self along with some bad design flaws in the actual shifting mecanisim.  the more modern ratchet shift designs of more modern atv's/ dirt bikes along with more modern dog engagement designs have solved a lot of that.

realignment, cable changes, oil changes etc are just basic maintenance.  if you want to solve the real problems unfortunately you have to remove the trans from the cases...

welp  what about us 40year old technology banshee owners??  please PM me if you would like more information on the modifications i do.

after the mods the stock trans seems to shift well under power up to and around 100-110 hp.

it wont shift to 5th and 6th?  might be something jammed inside  but usually when that happens its completely screwed...   pull the clutch cover off and see if anything external to the trans is jacked up.   if not  plan on yanking it out.