Banshee out of control

oldskool

I have a all new set up to me, with 64.50 bore,ported cylinders,+4 mill crank,34mm tm mikuni's, billet intakes with no cross over. I'm still working on jetting. 35 pilot and 260 main right now.

Yesterday I fired the bike up and let it run for a few minutes, then turned the gas off to run fuel out of carb. The engine went WOT. I hit kill switch, still WOT. I then pulled both plug wires, bike is STILL RUNNING WOT, I then pulled both chokes and she died. Can someone PLEASE tell me what would allow the engine to keep running with no plug wires.

Leakdown test a couple weeks ago checked out ok. Lost 1/2 lb in 10 mins. I'm pretty sure pilot is too big, but DAMN. I don't want to lose another engine over something stupid. Too many $$$ for me

You had what is commonly called a runaway. The lean condition caused by running it out of fuel heated up the spark plug and it acted like a glow plug, igniting the fuel much earlier on the compression stroke. Effectively doing the same thing as advancing the timing a whole bunch. It's happened to me on an alcohol motor. scary as shit. I yanked off the plug wires just like you. Still ran. One guy that had it happen on a single cylinder motor, yanked the carb out of the intake. Another guy said he was tempted to flip the bike upside down and dump the fuel out of it. LOL Usually you can anchor the brakes and put it in the gear and drop the clutch to kill it.

You had what is commonly called a runaway. The lean condition caused by running it out of fuel heated up the spark plug and it acted like a glow plug, igniting the fuel much earlier on the compression stroke. Effectively doing the same thing as advancing the timing a whole bunch. It's happened to me on an alcohol motor. scary as shit. I yanked off the plug wires just like you. Still ran. One guy that had it happen on a single cylinder motor, yanked the carb out of the intake. Another guy said he was tempted to flip the bike upside down and dump the fuel out of it. LOL Usually you can anchor the brakes and put it in the gear and drop the clutch to kill it.

Haha I remember that thread. I yanked the carb out of my blaster. The one guy wanted to flip the bike and dump all the gas.

Four strokes will just die when they run out.

I know it has nothing to so with it but I have seen Detroit 8v92s(2 stroke diesel engines) runaway and you can kill feul but they will pick engine oil a burn it! It crazy scary!!

crazycracker

Gotta love them old 2 strokes

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Four strokes will just die when they run out.

I know it has nothing to so with it but I have seen Detroit 8v92s(2 stroke diesel engines) runaway and you can kill feul but they will pick engine oil a burn it! It crazy scary!!

crazycracker Gotta love them old 2 strokes

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Oh yea!! Aint nothing like em!! Sweet music!

crazycracker

Four strokes will just die when they run out. I know it has nothing to so with it but I have seen Detroit 8v92s(2 stroke diesel engines) runaway and you can kill feul but they will pick engine oil a burn it! It crazy scary!! crazycracker

The company i used to work for had an old forklift with a detroit in it, while they were working on it she stuck wide open, not really much you can do when those things let loose. 

Should die if you kill the air too it also. Just plug the carb with something. Just make sure it ain't a rag and you don't let it get sucked in. I'd be a little nervous about using the palm of my hand too. Maybe some cardboard or something. Had an old Zilla that would do that just sittin there idling with the fuel and everything on. Slide was worn out in the stock carb sucking too much air. First time it happened out in the middle of nowhere right after it threw the chain. Scary mofo. Slapped a new pwk on it and it ran like a top.