What does RO mean on sand tires?

Lowflyin

Roll Out (circumference)

Yes as j-MADD it is the circumference usually measured in inches an easy way to check is stretch out a tape measure on the floor and see how fare one complete revolution of the tire is. Can also just wrap the tape measure around the tire

rollout is to know true height of tire. which effects gearing. example 72" ro is approx 22" tall. 75" ro is approx 23" tall. both 22x11x8..!

For some reason, this makes no sense to me what you stated. It seems like you're saying every 'height' there is a specific RO, yet you state they can be the same?

My view, is you can have a 22" tire with 10"+ differences in RO, depending on paddle count and paddle size.

In general, a wider rim will hold the tire more "square" shaped and won't let the tire balloon out.  So you can have a 22x11x8 tire on an 8x8 rim and it will look like the tires on my drag bike in my signature.  Then you can have a 22x11x8 tire on an 8x10 rim and it will look more like a 20" tire, wide and flat across the top instead of a rounded balloon shape.  So you can't compare tire size to roll-out.  I have 68 RO 22" tires and 73 RO 22" tires.  Wrapping the tape measure isn't an accurate roll-out either.  You are getting the RO measurement of the outside edge of the paddles, not the tire carcass itself.