banshee build from scratch surgestions needed,

Guest mumshouldaswallowed

Hi everybody, new to this site and banshee, rode a bros banshee a few months back, iam hooked on it ever since, been wanting to build my own but dont realy know much about it, iam from australia so banshees aint a real big thing over here, ive been reading a fair bit aobut thease rides but there is so many diferent options ect, if iam doing ports or whatever then most likely i gotta send it to the us, its gonna cost me a arm or leg so i want to get the set up right the 1st time, eny help would be nice, i want to build a shee from scratch for trail riding only, could some of yous pro surgest a nice set up, iam looking at an engine case and frame atm, not realy sure what lenght of swingarm to get allso, i want this bike to have maximun hp for trail use, what kind of shocks, carbie flat side or round, ect, i just want to buy something to get me started and motivated with, most likeley a frame so i can start painting it, and allso, the weather in my state is allways 30c to 40c, does enybody know where i can dl the part manuel? its gonna be hard to know what srews or parts go where with out it, and its also gonna be pumped with normal fuel, thanks,

are you postive its going to just be for trails? if so what kind of trails? like wide open ? fast paced? rocky? muddy? alot will depend on your budget. have you checked your local craigslist adds for banshees? i would start there. you can always change the color of the frame and the pastics so dont get hung up on that. i picked up another one about a month ago for 850. swapped out some parts i had and runs mint. deals are def out there you gotta search for them

yea its for trail use only, the turns would be the size of a car doing a u turn for example, i wouldnt say full trottle but yea, nah no rocks, a bit muddy like just on top of the surface, mostly hard dirt tho, on 4wd trails, if you had unlimited budget what would u get? the only straight i would be doing is going there, iam not racing or enything, just like riding, what would be the best set up for mostly trail, and for mostly fast past long corners/ straights? if i go with the trail set up, does that mean ill lose top speed? or will it just be slower to reach it,

the cheapest banshee ive seen in aus is around 2,500 gran, but its hard to find 1 at that price, i am tempting to get 1 but most likey ill ride it for a few weeks and change most of the stuff of it enyways, all the electrics, plastic, rims, clutch, gears, most of the stuff inside the engine, a arms, pipe, shocks, brakes, swing arms, blings ect, the only stock thing on the quad will mosly like be the frame, steering rack,

Try to find a rolling chassis so youll have most of the bolts and other hardware your gonna need. If you build from scratch its gonna be a lot of trouble to find all the bolts,nuts,spacers and other things. Then find a complete engine in need of rebuild, after plenty of research choose your engine build and go from there. There are plenty of builders around and probably someone in your area too. banshees have been around a long time and have a large following, so with some research and patience you can build whatever you want without breaking the bank. I would recommend a stock cylinder 4mill with some port work and 32-35mm carbs. That set up will be plenty for trails if tuned wright.

i know what your saying bro, i even want to change every bolt to stainless steel, alum hubs and all, yea i know thats why iam looking for a part manual, hopefully it tells ya all the size of the bolts ect, i acutaly want to asemble everything my self, you have to start somewhere right, i did a bit on dirt bikes, well chinese 1s enyways lol, but yea, they were 4 stroke tho, timing is just a pain in the ass but yea,

It can get real expensive man, you'll be up for an easy 10-15k$ by the time you pay for shipping and all that. Not to mention anything over 1000au$ you'll get taxed at customs.

If I were to do it all again, I'd look for a decent/clean bike, one you can ride and play with. Then bit by bit do it up. The killers are engine work and suspension, there is a good 5-10k$ in that alone.

I reckon a stock cylinder 4mm stroker would work well in the trails you can get some cylinders from the US ported and sent here. If you wanted a cylinder that you can re port for more power later on but not as good in the tighter trails, get a 421 serval, in stock form will be good for the trails, then you can re port for another 15-20hp but you'll lose some bottom end power.

Like anything how much have you got to spend ?

Ground up rebuilds are nice in thought but are to pricey and for something like a quad bike ya just gonna trash n thrash, is it worth it ?

10k is allright lol, think iam jjust gonna do a yfz450 conversion with a banshee motor in, thanks for all the tips man, ill check them out, does enybody know where i can dl the part manual????

Edited by VStarNinja

i think you can still find it in the tech. links section. again, i would also suggest a 4mil stock cyl trail port 30mm carbs will be fine. have you concidered buying a new one? do they still sell them? i haven't kept up with if/when they stopped making them, or if they stopped aus sales yet. generally, you don't want more than +2 in the trails, but can get away with +4, and many go with -1/-2 for trails for hook-up, but i would find myself back-slidding a hill under my bike with less than stock, and i ride woods, and 4x trails. only other type of ridding i go to is the roads to get there, and the monster climbs, if/when i do find them. i like to say i'm ridding the woods to get to the hills, but it does end up being over 90% woods/trail. i rarely have a problem with a 50" rear wheel width. pro-circuit pipes are what you want.

i was actualy gonna buy a new 1 from the start, it cost $8900 AUD, its only like a few cents different to USD, YFZ 450r are $15 and KFX450r are $13,500, i would be happy with it for a few weeks or month, then ill mostly likey replace most of the stuff on the bike with race parts or whatever, thats why i havnt actualy decided yet, atm iam thinking of doing a yfz450 conversion with a banshee engine in it, ive emailed a few wreckers on ebay about the yfz frame but none have gotten back to me yet, honesly i dont race at all, but i want the power there incase when a copper trys to chase me down lol, i realy doub they would catch me in there stock 3230 i think trail bikes lol, ill want to get a heavy bull bar too if u know what i mean lol,

well, buy a new one then. first mods, once you ride it a bit and get used to it, is figure out what kind of pipes you want, and what chassis mods. take the time to piece together a build for more motor, and do it all in one shot later down the road.