Reliability

Looking into building a new motor and I am curious to know if a 7mm 10mm or even bigger would stay fairly reliable? I'm looking at a 10mm cast crank and not sure if I want cub or serval cylinders yet. This bike hardly gets ridden it will be a play bike for really fast dirt/ fire roads and where we camp it is all sand for 100km and a small dune back there. I'm looking for big power but would like something reliable enough to put a couple hundred km to and from those dunes a couple times a year. Any info would be great my buddy has a fast 4mill serval with clean up port and you know how it goes I need more power then him lol. Should I do a drag ported cub or a dune serval ?

Thanks

If built and tuned right any motor u build will be reliable. I think the problem is, when u start getting bigger and faster, u tend to tune on the edge...

When my top end goes (2006, never opened) I will be doing an aggressive dune port stock cylinder stock stroke. But, a 7 mil would be fun.

I'm sure with the correct set up (swinger, tires, carbs, tuning) either motor would be rideable for what uve described ur riding style is. I'm not sure at what size trenching the cases comes into play, but that's where I bet it starts getting real pricey.

But, you get a good port on the stock cyls, and u tune it good... You can beat an average tuned 4 mil.

Edited by Banshee Chad

If built and tuned right any motor u build will be reliable. I think the problem is, when u start getting bigger and faster, u tend to tune on the edge...

When my top end goes (2006, never opened) I will be doing an aggressive dune port stock cylinder stock stroke. But, a 7 mil would be fun.

I'm sure with the correct set up (swinger, tires, carbs, tuning) either motor would be rideable for what uve described ur riding style is. I'm not sure at what size trenching the cases comes into play, but that's where I bet it starts getting real pricey.

But, you get a good port on the stock cyls, and u tune it good... You can beat an average tuned 4 mil.

trenching comes into play and size bigger then 4mil.

I have read that there are reliability issues with the ten mill cranks i was not sure if that was true and is the power difference much different between it and a 4 mill? If it is only a few hp I won't go through the truble I will just drop a 4 mill in it

I have been running my 10mil serval for going on 2 years it has been super reliable I ride about every 3 weeks year round and burn 4-8 gallons every trip depending if we camp.

I will never do a motor for myself unless its a 10mil or bigger but that is just me.

I do mostly hill climbs some drag racing and some trails

You have to go billet after a 10 mm don't you ? For me the bigger the better was also thinking of a super cub or a cheetah but I allready have a head and small bore sheares an don't really want to get into new pipes and heads save some $$$$

Edited by mason07shee

notice the gallon per min insted of hour use !lol. if you are only looking between the two, it is tuning!!!!!!!... the last four mill we purchased was barely used on the 4 cub setup we have around 50 hours on it after picking up a new set of pistons and porting them. We are just now stepping back, sayin its time to replate and snag up a new set of fists to port the windows!!!