Shifter adjustment issues

sootman73

I bought a new shift shaft and modded shift star the other day and went to put it in on saturday. I got everything in and now it wont shift every time. its like half the time it doesn't move the star far enough to grab the next pin. I have messed with that adjustment alot trying to get it to work both ways but the only way i can get it to shift reliably everytime is to remove that eccentric screw. I bought the screw new from yamaha but i'm starting to wonder if theres something wrong with it. I tried the old star and shift shaft with the new eccentric and it doesn't work either. I can't try the old screw because I had to weld a nut on it to get it out.

Any ideas? I'm about to take it to the dealership but I hate doing that because I've been able to avoid up to this point.

I bought a new shift shaft and modded shift star the other day and went to put it in on saturday. I got everything in and now it wont shift every time. its like half the time it doesn't move the star far enough to grab the next pin. I have messed with that adjustment alot trying to get it to work both ways but the only way i can get it to shift reliably everytime is to remove that eccentric screw. I bought the screw new from yamaha but i'm starting to wonder if theres something wrong with it. I tried the old star and shift shaft with the new eccentric and it doesn't work either. I can't try the old screw because I had to weld a nut on it to get it out.

Any ideas? I'm about to take it to the dealership but I hate doing that because I've been able to avoid up to this point.

Try another eccentric screw and see if that works. See if u can get a refund for the one that didnt work. Might be out of spec or something

Are you shifting without the engine running? You have to spin the trans to get the dogs to line up for it to go into the next gear.

Yea i've been spinning the tires as i shift but even spinning them fast doesn't get it to engage the next gear. I'll try the second gear idea but it doesn't seem to matter one way or another. I'll order another screw and see if that helps.

There is no way an eccentric can be defective enough to limit travel enough to prevent it from going into the next gear. My next guess is going to be that you don't have the clutch assembled and both trans shafts are gleefully spinning together, preventing engagement of the dogs.

Well i dont have the clutch installed no cuz i got tired of taking it off and on to be able to see the star. I'll do my adjustments with it on from now on. Thanks

just slide the hub on to hold by hand and watch what is happening. if you adjust it centered, then all it needs to be doing is grabbing the star and moving it just over on of the star legs, then should move back to center and the shift drum/star is supposed to roll over to the next detente as soon as the gears line up. same either direction. if it's doing that, then the shift shaft is working