Having a hell of a time Sarting my Banshee..

xxcody2gunsxx

its a 2003 Yamaha Banshee

Process of kick starting this beast when sitting for a day is like this .

Choke fully engaged

couple squirts of fuel from throttle

couple of slow pumps of the kickstart

start kicking about 7 or 8 times

Nothing

another 7 or8 times

nothing

again and again for 10 minutes or more .

Finally it starts but i have to hold the choke fully out as far as it goes .

Dies

couple more kickstarts

it starts , again hold the choke fully open by hand ,further then the last notch .

carefully give it a little throttle and sounds good .

Ride ....

Now after all that , I can kickstart first time ,every time through out the day unless i leave it off for 4 or mores hours then it starts giving me trouble again but not as much as the beginning of the day .

When I bought this banshee I was told it had a fresh topend . plugs were new but i changed them again any ways and the fluids .

it does have a K&N air filter and the air box is modded up . the lid is cut off 3/4 of the way .

other then that I installed a TORS removal kit with the idle screws but long before i did that this hard starting was a problem yet .

as far as jetting goes . I really dont know what in there .i did clean the carbs but didnt bother looking at whats in there .

Any sugestions? Thanks

its a 2003 Yamaha Banshee

Process of kick starting this beast when sitting for a day is like this .

Choke fully engaged

couple squirts of fuel from throttle

couple of slow pumps of the kickstart

start kicking about 7 or 8 times

Nothing

another 7 or8 times

nothing

again and again for 10 minutes or more .

Finally it starts but i have to hold the choke fully out as far as it goes .

Dies

couple more kickstarts

it starts , again hold the choke fully open by hand ,further then the last notch .

carefully give it a little throttle and sounds good .

Ride ....

Now after all that , I can kickstart first time ,every time through out the day unless i leave it off for 4 or mores hours then it starts giving me trouble again but not as much as the beginning of the day .

When I bought this banshee I was told it had a fresh topend . plugs were new but i changed them again any ways and the fluids .

it does have a K&N air filter and the air box is modded up . the lid is cut off 3/4 of the way .

other then that I installed a TORS removal kit with the idle screws but long before i did that this hard starting was a problem yet .

as far as jetting goes . I really dont know what in there .i did clean the carbs but didnt bother looking at whats in there .

Any sugestions? Thanks

check your jetting... start with 2 sizes bigger on the pilots

Thanks For the advice fella's .

i warmed up the bashee and was going to use the choke method to find if I'm lean or righ and found that with the choke out warmed up the Idle is so high i cant take it for a ride .

does this indicate I'm running EXTREAMLY lean durring normal use here ?

i know I my dirt bike i just got done jetting that bad boy out and when I pull out the choke it dies which is what i figure it's supossed to do when warmed up but this Banshee is not doing that .

Alright just popped carbs off and took a look at the mains and pilots

the mains are 290

Pilot jets are 25 .

Needle placement unkwown .

pilots were again a bit clogged so fixed that .

elevation 5,000+ft

depending on mods/Porting your mail looks a little rich and pilot is too small....if it is unported with just pipes and coolhead 27.5 pilots 260-280 mains.. I run 280's at 1000 feet and rule of thumb is you drop main size as altitune increases if im not wrong.

Did u pull the carbs all the way apart? The tubes the mains screw into come all the way out? U pull the air fuel screws all the way out and blow all the passages out with compressed air and carb cleaner? Those turds can't be half assed. Where u have the screws set at and how did ya set em?

Did u pull the carbs all the way apart? The tubes the mains screw into come all the way out? U pull the air fuel screws all the way out and blow all the passages out with compressed air and carb cleaner? Those turds can't be half assed. Where u have the screws set at and how did ya set em?

they might be half assed , i did pull both carbs out and cleaned out the mains and blew air threw the tube that the main jet sits in and did the same with the Pilot jets ,and the same with what i believe are air jets .pulled the air screw and cleaned it too .

when i put it all back i first made sure the slides came up at the same time and had the air screws set at 1.5 turns out . after a quick warm up I turned the air screws out a quarter turn at a time which took just that first quarter turn out ward . any turns beyond that it fell off peak idle .

i'm at 5000 ft also,,,running pods and pipes,mild porting,v 2 reeds..jetting is 250 mains and 25 pilots. the clogged pilots where probably most of your problem.did you check your compression?

I haven't yet . misplaced my compression tester and can not find it right now .

as far as I know this Banshee just has the airbox lid cut off most the way ,FMF SST Headers and FMF powercore 2 tail pipes .

This is my first banshee actually i got it for my wife . i ride dirt bikes most the time.

depending on mods/Porting your mail looks a little rich and pilot is too small....if it is unported with just pipes and coolhead 27.5 pilots 260-280 mains.. I run 280's at 1000 feet and rule of thumb is you drop main size as altitude increases if im not wrong.

does not have a cool head and your right about dropping sizes as altitude goes up . most the time here where I live ,your able to get by with opening up air boxes and getting nice pipes with out jetting as factory sets are generally lean at sea level but a bit rich here .

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx