Is this a good cam?

BansheeBoy347

Im looking at ordering this cam for my truck http://www.ebay.com/itm/320947291414?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 Would this be a good cam for a 5.3? It not to big and I dont have to run a stall. I will be getting the whole kit with the valve springs and pushrods.

Edited by BansheeBoy347

Its got a true dual exhaust with 2.5in piping running into 2 flowmaster 10 series mufflers dumped, black bear tune, airraid intake and tb spacer, 3.42 gears as of right now but im gonna be getting some 3.73 hear soon. Tranny is all stock and dont know the tire size off the top of my head.

.581/.581 lift is monster for a daily driver. A 224/224 duration is pretty mild though. I just built a fresh 383 stroker for my 85' chevy truck and I only put a .480/.480 in it with a 2400 B&M stall that is way undersized. I should have listened to my buddy and bought atleast a 3500 stall. There is a lot of factors that go into building a motor and if they all don't 'mesh' well your gonna end up screwing more shit up than you ever imagined.

Well I know he said that you can run the stock stall with it and thats actually a small cam for a 5.3. You can go up to a 236/237 or something like that without a stall. But im wanting a cam that has a choppy idle. And im probably going to swap a 5 speed in the truck in the near future. But im thinking about going to a junkyard and just buy a stock 5.3 and build it. That way I will have a extra motor anyways. It a 04 silverado that im talking about. It also has the ls6 heads and there supposed to flow good and a cam should wake it up alot more.

Edited by BansheeBoy347

That's about as aggressive as I'd go on a 5500lb+ truck with almost everything else stock. Agreed above, a higher stall converter matched with your engines powercurve (greatly affected by cam selection) will yield best results. I like the idea of building a spare motor. Allows you time to do things right and not rushed. Also allows you to have a "plan B" if the higher output motor fails, you still have a known good one to put back in.

Yea thats what im probably going to do. I have to start hitting the junkyards to try and find a wrecked one with a 5 speed that way I can get the trann and steering column. And hopefully I can find the l33 or lm4 that had the aluminum block.

• 2 months later...

you will hate that cam. either cam you get will really need a programmer to be even worth installing, but the part number cam you are after is #54-412-11. it barely needs a little more idle, like 550-600, drill out the throttle body just a small amount (air hole in it, as you will see) but it makes omg power from 1200 to over 6k. if you buy a jet, if you are involved, or something else tuned for the cam/a cam if you might get a little lost. thst cam you posted is pretty radical for a dd. if you were racing track, yah, you could use it with the stock tqc., but that doesn'tmean that it will even hold an idle under 900-1k and stall even at those settings. forget economy, might as well slap an over-sized carb on there and garden-hoe fuel down it's gullet and out the exhaust. also, doing a manual swap, you need either the jet/tunercat equivelant setup or the complete electrical that came with the manual trans.

• 2 months later...