Where's the cheese thread gone!

Glenyboy

Well I just made some shepherds pie. And I put about a pound of shredded cheddar in it. One layer between the veggies meat and gravy and another layer over the mashed tatters to seal in the goodness.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I use deer in my shepherds pie. I have had it with the cubed potatoes though. I browned the cubed potatoes in a skillet with butter and a little Tabasco and then threw it in the mix. I always try and modify some of my moms recipes. The only one I just can't mess with is her sauce recipe. Being she's Italian I think she'd hire someone to whack me.

TON!

Have you had the variant called cottage pie which uses lamb instead of beef, or Lancanshire hotpot which has sliced potatoes instead of mashed

Traditional Shepards pie is made with lamb.

Cottage pie is made with beef.

American's love to make greasy disgusting casseroles with ground beef and mashed potatoes and call them shepards pie, its embarrassing.

The key to making either version good is to get the carrots, onions, celery and fresh garlic sauteed in a bunch of butter, then add your roux.

I just add flour straight into the mixture until I get the thickness I like, then add the meat

Saute the veges too long and they are mush by the time it's done baking.

You must drain the meat well before adding, or by the time you bake in the casserole dish the whole thing is swimming in grease on bottom.

I like to add a layer of sweet corn on top of the meat/vege mix, under the mashed potatoes.

Also set aside some of the sauteed garlic and butter and mix it in the potatoes while you mash them.

Pull top off for 10 mins at end of baking to make a nice crust on top.

Cooking is one of the few things I'm good at.

Can't believe I put that not many shepherds rustle cows! Lol

Never had one with a roux or garlic, may have to try it.

By roux do you mean the traditional term White sauce? Or do you mean it as your sauce/gravy?

Edited by Glenyboy

Can't believe I put that not many shepherds rustle cows! Lol

Never had one with a roux or garlic, may have to try it.

By roux do you mean the traditional term White sauce? Or do you mean it as your sauce/gravy?

As far as the white sauce, I think I know what you're talking about, but I've never used it like that as a sauce in itself.

The roux is essential in the meat/vege mix, it makes a nice "sauce" out of all of it.

It not only brings all the flavors together, but it also kind of holds it together, rather than just a pile of loose meat and veges.

It's used in all sorts of recipes, another I use it in is homemade mac n cheese. I saute onions in butter and garlic then add flour (making a 'roux) until at the desired thickness, then I add heavy cream and all the cheese.

I guess the "real" way to make a roux is to mix equal parts flour and fat (butter) in a separate pot on low heat, then add slowly to whatever you're using it in, but I don't see many people do it that way.

In the shepards pie I cook the lamb in one pan and drain well a couple times, lamb is much fattier than beef.

Then in the other pan I get all the veges and garlic going in butter. Cook them for min or two , add some more butter than sprinkle flour in a little bit at a time until it's at the thickness I want, then add the meat.

Assuming the meat was drained well, and you let it sit for 10-15 mins after pulling out of the oven, you can take a scoop of the shepards pie and the remainder won't "run" into the void. It kind of stands on its own, like a pie. Without the roux for the veges and meat, I imagine it would kind of crumble apart rather than being a nice thick mixture.

You should really try it with some fresh garlic, especially in the mashed potatoes. I always use redskins and leave the skin on, tastes good, looks good, and the skins are full of good shit.

Saute some chopped garlic in butter or olive oil and then you can add it to anything you're cooking. You can even make up a bunch, strain the garlic out, and then you have garlic oil. I do the same thing with fresh herbs that I grow as well.

That's why I use deer. I know it's not the traditional way, but when your done browning 2 lbs. of deer you don't have enough grease to fill a teaspoon. As far as the fresh garlic butter used to sautée the veggies, that is a great idea. I will have to try that.

TON!

As for the Mac and cheese from scratch. I made that a week ago. I always add a beer to my pot o cheese to make a beer-cheese sauce and then pour it into the pasta, then add bread crumbs and throw in the oven to get a nice crust. I did discover though you don't want to use Guinness for your beer of choice. It's good but turns the cheese sauce to an unappetizing brown color.

TON!