To Redo or not to redo A&S 18 mil porting, and engine

BIGSNOR

Hey guys, going to buy an A&S 18 mill topend, and having K&T build the motor back. Kim at K&T says he can get more out of the motor. Do you guys think I should let him work his magic, or should I leave it alone. I've never seen or ridden this motor yet. Wanted to know your guys input. Also kim may have a different setup on pistons and domes as where Dan Hull i hear runs flat tops. Looking for some advice.

Hey guys, going to buy an A&S 18 mill topend, and having K&T build the motor back. Kim at K&T says he can get more out of the motor. Do you guys think I should let him work his magic, or should I leave it alone. I've never seen or ridden this motor yet. Wanted to know your guys input. Also kim may have a different setup on pistons and domes as where Dan Hull i hear runs flat tops. Looking for some advice.

What do you mean have them build the motor back? So you don't have the cases that go with the topend? I'd assemble it, check the specs, and run it before I'd re-port it. I've made that mistake before. Also, how does Kim know he can get more out of it if he hasn't seen it? There's probably a little more to get out of a lot of motors, but who's gonna spend 100 hours to get that last 5 - 10 % (other than for their personal motors)?

Yes I have the cases as well. He has the cylinder and cases at his shop right now. Said he thinks he can get alittle more out of it. I guess he can tell that just by looking at it. Also I believe he uses a different piston setup than dan hull uses from what i've read. I need to talk to him more about it as well. Was just looking for some feedback, and yes i know K&t is good at what they do. I also know A&S make some sick shit as well.

K&t uses flat tops just to let you know. And Jmo Titan racing is the only one I think could get more out of a motor than a&s!

Ps: I have seen Tim from Titan make a k&t dm faster than it was lol. This motor won planet sand class two years strait after this. I will tell you this tunning is the biggest thing with these motors!

Lmao. Why bother. The builder choice has been made, K&T. You gonna call Dan and ask " hey what can Kim do for this motor"?!!!

While you were laughing your ass off, you missed my point. Dan and Kim both build some extremely fast motors. I would much rather send it back to original builder to get a little more out of it than having someone else get there hands in there. They all have different approaches and theorys on porting, timing, pistons and dome cutting.

I'm not knocking K&T one bit. I had Kim do some work for me this spring on a topend he ported 4 years ago and he "got a little more out of it".

only reason i didnt send back to A&S is the dreaded time delays and terrible customer service i keep reading about. I dont know of any of that first hand and the guy that had him build the motor, said dan remembers touching up the porting, but he doesnt remember porting it initially. The guy that had the cylinders done said he has had good luck getting ahold of him, but I just heard too much shit, and kim has been great so far, but at the end of the day i want the fastest motor possible. I dont wanna run it now, and resend back later. I want to get it done right the first time. Kims son said the exhaust port NEEDED to be touched up. I'm just weary of someone "tampering with perfection" if you will, since i hear so many good things about how much dans motors rip.

J talk wit Guy bout 3 days ago he told me they have sent Motors out to Dan and Neva got them bck, I like to know have anyone heard him doing this shit before? I have a buddy sending his motor out to him this week, but the Guy put my motor together say dan the best n the country I really dnt know..thanks