450 real caliper swap

I am gonna do a 450 rear caliper swap on my bike but I am wondering if the rear 450 caliper's bolt pattern is the same as the banshee's bolt pattern like the fronts are? If so I can just shim it on the current caliper plate that is mounted on my round house swinger. If it is different, does any one know if the newer style stock 450 rear caliper plate would mount up on a round house swinger just like an aftermarket plate would?

i know that the banshee rear and yfz rear are very different. also this disc size is different. i used a custom rotor and a 250r caliper w/ 250r hanger. u might need to have a custom rotor and or a brake stay(depending if oem will work).

Edited by NickisGod

I know they are definitely pretty different. I just wish someone with a stock 450 could tell me if their plate is similar to aftermarket roundhouse swing arm caliper plates. otherwise I might just water jet a plate. but the newer 450 plates are like 10 bucks so in comparison to getting one cut it would be a huge savings. man it sure would be tits to own a bandsaw for metal!

hum i think i understand what your asking. i have a yfz caliper and ect sitting on a shelf, i also have a lonestar swinger. i should be able to help.

i think the first part u need to address is the disc. are u trying to run a banshee disc? or yfz? if u want a banshee disc you will almost deff need a different brake stay.

if u want to use a yfz sized rotor (that will need to be custom to fit on banshee hub) you might be able to use this http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YFZ-450-REAR-BRAKE-STAY-06-/251114732125?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a779aba5d&vxp=mtr and just need to shim it out.

theres a link in my sign on how i converted my rear. check it out youll get an idea on how to do it even though u wanna use yfz parts.

i herd someone say a yfz front caliper will work on the banshee brake stay. maybe something else to consider.

I have saw your write up many times. That is still a possibility, but I prefer the newer modern parts. But a rebuilt 250r caliper isn't outta the question. If you could slap that 450 caliper stay on the banshee round house carrier and swinger and let me know if it lines up it would be appreciated. ( is it early or late 450 plate) As for the rotor, I would just get JD to buzz me one up. But I think it either needs to be the bracket or the rotor. So if I have to make a plate, I will just cut it to float the caliper over stock diameter banshee disk for easier replacement parts. Either way I don't think it will be complicated. I just don't have the part in my hand yet to check fitment etc.

Thanks for the pics man. That is 450 part correct?

By the way, that eBay link is the exact part I am referring to. I wonder if it would just go on my carrier and swinger combo? Then I can shim the caliper out where it needs to be and maybe cut a new rotor. I am also about to get bigger rotors cut for the front 450 swap to utilize the entire pad surface

Hell if I end up having a custom plate done, I will probably go with a really nice brembo unit ore one of the gnarly shifter cart calipers like you see all the euro guys converting to. Here is a good candidate http://www.ebay.com/itm/230834637399?redirect=mobile

heres a photo of the carrier. the carries was od 2.84. measure on ur bike to see if it lines up. (btw the measurements start at 1in. for accuracy.)

photobucket-1603-1344411027978.jpg

photobucket-2676-1344410722119.jpg

in my opinion id use the yfz rear caliper, grab the brake stay, get a yfz diamter-banshee hub rotor

the ducati sounds interesting... are those opposing piston brakes?

o yeah i think it was a older 00-01 yfz

Edited by NickisGod

I myself would pick a front yfz caliper over a rear stock yfz caliper, i have used the front calipers on the rear of my banshee's and yfz's and worked great.

Yeah nick the brembo on the Ducati is an opposing pisdon design. WAY STOUT! Thanks for the pics nick.

BBIII, what was your set up for the banshee? I know o e of the fronts will be better, but left or right or does it not matter? Can I use the 450 caliper stay on a regular aftermarket round house?

If it is all interchangeable I will go for the 450, but if I have to fab a bracket I Will do one of those opposed brembo calipers. They are unbelievably cheap. Same as 450 stuff.

Ok, thanks fellas for the help. Got an easy no fab way from BBIII. He was kind enough to elaborate in shout.

So for any one looking for a fast way to do this, here goes. Use a right front YFZ front caliper. Line it up with the holes on the caliper stay plate using one of the bolt holes on the caliper. Then mark the plate on the caliper through the un used hole on the bracket. Drill the mark and tap it for the same sized bolt. I will probably whip one up soon and do a write up for the technical section. Thanks BB for the short cut.

Years ago before the birth of all the 450's I swapped a 250r rear dual piston caliper on mine, Was quite easy, just bought a the brake stay for a 250r and then I had to machine the underside(belly) of the caliper for clearance

Also had a custom rotor made by Quicksand Fab................does that company still exsist ? The rotor had stock Banshee inner bolt pattern and a 250r outside OD.

Stock Banshee brakes are barely adequete while stock, let alone when most of us ad 40% more power..

Hope this helps some.

Flash and Flare

MVC-005S.JPG