Starter/Main gear

Building an 87 banshee from frame up. Got it running and while it was idling heard a pop and it cut off. I took the clutch cover off and the starter gear (small gear on the clutch basket) had shattered. I figured the reason for this was because the countershaft was messed up on the end where the idler goes and the idler was being held on with a welded washer. I should have replaced it when i split the cases the first time to swap to non broken cases. But anyways I split the cases again and swapped out the countershaft. I then put on another idler gear and kick starter assembly from someone off ebay because the kick starter spring was also worn out. Bought a clutch basket from someone also and put it on. Got it all back together and the kick starter felt good for once. Cranked the Banshee and it was idling. Turned it off then cranked it again and that same awful sound happened. Sure enough starter gear shattered again. What a slap in the face! I need opinions. What causes this? Also how is this one gear held on? Is it attached to the main gear or can they separate? I see the main gear is welded on or something. Just wondering before i decided i have to buy another basket. Just buying a small gear would hopefully be cheaper.

It is a matched set of cases. The idler has a little movement to it. The busing in the clutch basket seems fine but you can slightly move the main gear on it. It doesn't seem enough to have caused the problem. Also like I said this happened twice with two different baskets and idlers. I can't imagine everyone on here having perfect bushings in both also. I'm not sure how to check runout on the shafts?

Also when it broke was right after I cranked it while my foot was still on the kick starter. I felt it pretty much kick back. If the engine were to run in reverse would it break this gear or is it capable of running in reverse without breaking something? I ask because after it broke the first time I took the gear out then roll started it to ride it some. It was fine but at one point I started to let out on the clutch and to my surprise it went backwards. I shifted to second and it was still going backwards. haha. I stopped revved a little then it went forward. It did this one other time I can think of.

I'm willing to bet the running backwards is what is breaking it. Is your flywheel keyed right? I'd check it out. Possibly maybe timing causing to run backwards. I haven't seen anything run backwards in a long time. Never a banshee either. Normally vintage bikes at the races.

Yes the banshee will run backwards if your timing is advanced too much, or your flywheel is moving around on the crank. I would pop off the stator cover and check everything out. Pull your flywheel and double-check the flywheel key & your timing plate. If something is happening where it is advancing the timing too far while its running and it tries to kick backwards who knows what kinda carnage it would cause when its spinning. A long time ago i remember a video of a kid who could start and ride his in reverse through a couple gears.

-Jared

Hahaha yeah thanks for the replies guys. It is very strange to say the least. When you let out on the clutch your body is ready for it to go forward and when it moves backwards it freaks you out a little. But I went to second and it kept going backwards. I laugh about it but at the same time it sucks to break that gear twice. Can someone post a pic of the stock key installed on the crank so I can see it? How tight is it supposed to be in its slot? Could be the problem. But if not, is there any other things that could cause this? Also where can you buy that key?

Wrong flywheel can cause it. Had that problem on a bike before.

Yeah its a factory flywheel but I found a key so I went ahead and ordered it so I can eliminate that from the equation. Also have a Dyna CDI I can put on but don't know if the one on there right now could cause this problem or not.