Taiwan strikes again

Well guys, I was assembly my 4 mill motor the other day and was getting frustrated with a stubborn new circlip that wouldn't go into the brand new 795 series Wiseco piston. So, I started looking at the piston and wristpin more closely and noticed the wristpin was .040" (1mm) too long, so the end of the wristpin was covering up the circlip groove partially. So lucky for me I have a lathe and faced .023" off of each side and now the pin fits correctly, along with the circlips installing right. And go figure, the wristpin wrapper said "Made in Taiwan" on it. I hate the China and Taiwan junk parts out there. And that's what the overpriced/over rated Wiseco pistons come with. So for anybody assembly a motor with wiseco pistons, check the wristpin length before torqueing down the cylinders, cause you will have a clirclip fall out and take out the cylinder/piston. The proper length should be 2.130" or 54.1mm.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmmm, Wiseco I'm sure provided them with the proper print and dimesions. Its just that Taiwan couldn't read the print right with them shitty ass slits they call eyes. Not to mention it means the quality control is piss poor.

Mikeocheck, I decided to go with a Vitos 4 mill crank. It wasn't as great as what the hype was. My keyway for the waterpump gear was off a little, so I had to sand the key to make it fit. Also, the flywheel keyway is pretty sloppy and the key needed to be glued in place, just so the flywheel would go on and not pop the key out of the keyseat. I just hope and pray the rods stay together. Where did you send your cub cylinders for repair?

Sheerider, it don't pay to call Wiseco. All I'm gonna get is a woman who is gonna say "well that's the part number my computer shows is right". Just like when you go to your local Auto Zone or whatever and you get some dumb box that gives you the wrong parts, or asks if your car has air conditioning while you're trying to get brake parts. I figured I knew what needed to be done to the wristpins to make them work, so I just went ahead and did it.

I guess I just wanted to give a heads up to all using Wiseco pistons. Pay attention to the wristpin length. Also, goes to show that its hard to find good replacement parts that aren't messed up. Same with auto parts.

Ummmmm, Wiseco I'm sure provided them with the proper print and dimesions. Its just that Taiwan couldn't read the print right with them shitty ass slits they call eyes. Not to mention it means the quality control is piss poor.

Mikeocheck, I decided to go with a Vitos 4 mill crank. It wasn't as great as what the hype was. My keyway for the waterpump gear was off a little, so I had to sand the key to make it fit. Also, the flywheel keyway is pretty sloppy and the key needed to be glued in place, just so the flywheel would go on and not pop the key out of the keyseat. I just hope and pray the rods stay together. Where did you send your cub cylinders for repair?

i sent it to HJR and kevin sent it to millenium, he got it back yesterday and said it was the nicest repair job he's seen considering the damage that was done. it cost me 400 buck tho! and that was almost 200 bucks cheaper than if i sent it straight to millenium banghead

I'm no fan of wiseco either.. I only use them in my big motor because i'm forced too..

Actually.. it probably was wiseco's fault since they get them in bulk.. Its their job to check the parts before packaging. Also.. wiseco is very helpful on the phone and would have sent you a new pin.

find it funny you bought another wang crank after all your rants about taiwan.

Fouledout, I guess good to know that wiseco is actually helpful on the phone. It was easy enough for me to face the needed amount off and then its fixed sooner too, versus waiting for 2 new pins from Wiseco. Yeah, I was never a fan of Wiseco pistons myself. I prefer the more durable cast pistons. Also, I heard no bad things about the 4mill Vitos crank, so I felt the most comfortable buying that crank versus a wang crank or hot rods or wiseco. I guess I can't and shouldn't knock all of Taiwan products, as I have used SPI con rod kits and SPI pistons before in sled applications with ZERO issues. I do have to say there is shit Taiwan and good Taiwan. Just like USA......good stuff and bad stuff. Craftsman bad......Snap-on good.

Fouledout, I guess good to know that wiseco is actually helpful on the phone. It was easy enough for me to face the needed amount off and then its fixed sooner too, versus waiting for 2 new pins from Wiseco. Yeah, I was never a fan of Wiseco pistons myself. I prefer the more durable cast pistons. Also, I heard no bad things about the 4mill Vitos crank, so I felt the most comfortable buying that crank versus a wang crank or hot rods or wiseco. I guess I can't and shouldn't knock all of Taiwan products, as I have used SPI con rod kits and SPI pistons before in sled applications with ZERO issues. I do have to say there is shit Taiwan and good Taiwan. Just like USA......good stuff and bad stuff. Craftsman bad......Snap-on good.

if you got the vito 4 mil with the chrome rods...you got a good one !!

i have seen a crank like that have the piston hit the head and it ripped the cylinder away from the cases,and only put a slight bend in the rod

there STRONG !!

1. I love my vitos crank

2. Craftsman is garbage. You get the littlest bit of dirt in the head and its fucked. I've never broken a snap on wrench, the craftsman explodes if I drop it to far. Like zilla says craftsman has the convenience of being in Sears. But it's not convenient having to go there 2 times a week.

But the vitos cranks are sweet. I called them to all about tolerances and the guy that picked up actually knew what the fuck I was talking about.