how to look for a leaking crank seal

I am loosing air somewhere and have sprayed all over trying to find it during a leak down test. (I cannot hold 6 psi for 6 minutes) Do I have to take off clutch cover and stuff and drain coolant in order to leak down test for the crank seal in order to find it?

I am loosing air somewhere and have sprayed all over trying to find it during a leak down test. (I cannot hold 6 psi for 6 minutes) Do I have to take off clutch cover and stuff and drain coolant in order to leak down test for the crank seal in order to find it?

Double check your intake and exhaust plugs. If you know they are good it could be either clutch or flywheel side. Could start with flywheel so you dont have to drain coolant and oil.

you can take the vent tubs from the transmission,the one from clutch cover and crank case and stick them in a glass of water and see if they build up pressure and blow bubbles in the water,but if they blow bubbles,it could be crank seal or leak in the crank cases sealant when you put it together,so either way you wont know for sure,i would take ihe clutch cover off and try it again and use a spray bottle of soapy water and see where the leak is...it could be leaking from the crank key that holds the crank gear on...it has happened before,if it doesnt leak from the crank seal or key way,it could be the seal on the cases.

• 2 weeks later...