High RPM problem - thought it was electrical, ended up being the carb!

So I want to post a story that may help someone in the future. I live in San Diego so my stomping ground is Gordon's Well and Glamis. Anyways I think it was during summer and I was performing some regular maintenance on my 05 banshee. I took the carbs off and I was cleaning them. Cleaned everything, filters, changed oil... everything. I keep the bike in tip top shape at all times. Anyways it was summer so for 6 months I didn't use the bike at all. I always put stay-bil in the gas and start it up about twice a month. This procedure has always worked for me.

So start of desert season and the 1st day the bike works perfect. Second day the bike works perfect. Third day and we go out on one last ride and when I'm on it hard it likes to cut out at the top end. Idle is fine revvs up fine and at slow speed it seems perfect. Seriously I checked EVERYTHING over the next few months. Checked the electrical box, plug wires, plugs, wiring, jet sizes, needles, needle level, different needles, different needle level with all types of needles and jets and basically just reset the bike back to when it ran the best (Kevin Herr tuning FYI never doubt it) (mind you this is after a few wasted trips at the desert because me and friends were all stumped). Anyways I change out the stator as a last case scenario and it still does the same thing. I ruined my bad ass ricky stator in the process by pulling wires out of the plug and other crap. I was getting impatient and dumb because I could not figure out the problem. We even took the head off to see if the rings were bad or a head seal was missing or something. Seriously SO much work to try and figure out this problem. At this point I'm upset and thinking about just selling it. This is what happens next.

The riding season is over and its a hot summer day and I'm bored. Call my dad and see if he wants to drink beer and wash our bikes. He brings his 06 banshee over and we proceed to have a few beers and wash the bikes. During the process of cleaning my bike we take the carbs apart to start to clean them out. We know that all electrical components are perfect because I would switch them out at the desert with friends' bikes with known reliable parts. As we are taking the carbs apart we notice that on one of them one of the main jets is sliding up and down freely within the carburetor itself. The problem: I was missing the TINY brass washer that goes on before the main jet. I was so happy that this was the problem. It was a relief and annoying at the same time. We figured the reason that it worked okay for the first few rides is because it was kind of wedged in there and didn't slide up and down with the needle going in and out.

Anyways remember that that washer can be the difference between running perfect of complete chaos.

I wanted to give another shout out to Ricky Stator because I pulled some wires out when I was taking it out and they replaced it for me. Awesome customer service and I have no complaints.