Custom oversized gas tank?

decon

I know this may have been brought up a few times, but can it be done? A custom molded oversized plasic tank that can fit the banshee without cutting up the plastics? I contacted clarke (manufacture of the desert tank), they said it would cost them up to $20,000 dollars to make a tool for a tank? Sounds a little farfetched to me? Im thinking since the fullbore fronts are one piece, the tank could extend through the back of the plastic and under the seat since they're open in the rear? You wouldn't even see this since your seat would be latched on.

My first thought was to cut the tank in the back and add plastic, but not sure how safe that would be. What type of plastic is the stock gas tank made out of? What process does it go through to be molded? Can this process be duplicated? If not plastic how about aluminum? I've seen those big custom aluminum tanks that they run on the dean sundahl bike's, they hold about 6 gallons. I also know they make those aluminum drag tanks but those are smaller than the stock tank. Any insight or information would be helpful, I would really be interested in doing this. I will draw something up here soon to give everyone an example of what I mean.

I know this may have been brought up a few times, but can it be done? A custom molded oversized plasic tank that can fit the banshee without cutting up the plastics? I contacted clarke (manufacture of the desert tank), they said it would cost them up to $20,000 dollars to make a tool for a tank?

Not so far fetched on the price. I have looked at having custom items injection molded and have had quotes come back up to $60,000 (depending on the part). It takes machined steel molds that cost a ton of money to have produced. Company's like Mair and Clarke have to look at the return on their investment and to be fair I think most would argree that the Banshee would not provide a good return being that it is no longer available in the U.S. (new that is).

I still think it's a worth wild project and am interested in what you come up with. Keep us posted.

Well that idea of an injection mold is out the window, too rich for my blood. Anyway, I do understand the banshee runs off of gravity feed, the petcock will remain in its current location. I just think I could squeeze a little room towards the back of the tank and up under the seat a little bit, their is enough room to pull it off. The part of the tank that is under the seat would be slanted on the bottom back toward the petcock, because as you mentioned under acceleration the fuel will want to go towards the back of the tank. I would also make the tank go forward a few inches towards the radiator, this is how the ims/clarke tanks are designed to get a little more fuel capacity. Here's a mock up of what I was talking about, the fullbores leave some space in the back of the tank where the plastics are open for the tank to extend out and be hidden under the seat. On stock banshee plastics you would have to cut the gas tank shroud but its under the seat where you wont see it.

tank.jpg

Well their are a few reasons guys tend to avoid cutting their plastics to run an oversized tank, its either for looks or they have expensive plastics. Personally I wouldn't hack up my fullbores for a larger tank, and like I said most guys wouldn't either. If they didn't care about how their bike looked im pretty sure everyone would be running an IMS or Clarke tank. Thir's enough room to squeeze up to a gallon or more. I've been looking at pictures of the IMS/Clarke tanks and noticed they dont bolt down up front by the radiator, instead they are bolted up top by the steering stem (where you would bolt down your gas tank shroud). Their's some extra space, I just have to get creative with the design...

ims4.jpg

ims6.jpg

ims7.jpg

So your saying my bike dont look good, and I don't care what it looks like??

Im not saying that at all, your getting my words mixed up. I personally dont mind the large oversized tank but like I said I wouldn't cut up my fullbores just to fit one. I said "MOST GUYS" wouldn't run one because they care about looks, and probably spent a pretty penny on aftermarket/custom painted plastic. I do like some bikes that run the tank, it's not as bad as most people think. But then again everyone has their own opinion, and obviously if people were concerned about their gas mileage, wouldn't we all be running an oversized tank? But that's not the case is it?

P.s. - Nice Wheels!

Yeah but to just fit an extra gallon for the tooling costs would be insane. Smarter to get a 6-pack rack at that point. I mean you would have to come up with some sort of drawing for me to even be able to check with our injection molder, but its going to cost thousands to do it.

Sure I can come up with a drawing, but I probably wouldn't go with the injection mold. Like you said it is very expensive, I think a custom aluminum tank would be more affordable in this case. I honestly think it's worth the extra gallon, but who know's how much it will hold at this point. I mean look at IMS and their 4 gallon tank, it's a lot smaller than the huge 5 gallon, costs the same price and only holds .8 gallons over stock.

I think once you go to fullbores you pretty much sealed the deal when it comes to an oversized tank.. I have never seen or herd of anyone hacking up fullbores for an ims or Clarke tank..

As far as a bigger tank on stock plastics, I do think that alot of times they look like shit.... Me personally did not think they would look good on my bike, but I was suppose to head back to glamis this past February and last year when we went, I couldn't ride. Every time we got to where we wanted to be, I was extremely low on fuel.. Even with my extra 2.5 gal can on my grab bar. There was one ride I didn't make it back... I desided that function was worth more then looks.. Turns out I love the way my bike looks with the big tank..

If you want any pictures of my tank, any detailed areas LMK I believe it's the same size on the bottom of the tank as stock...

I'll let you know, I've got some pictures of all angles without the tank on the quad.

What if you just pressurized the tank and heated up the areas you want to expand. Blow that shit up like a balloon.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea either, I could heat it up with a torch and blow air through the gas cap.