Steering stem bearing

So I'm trying to remove the steering stem bearing from the frame but can't get the cover off. I made a tool for it, a 30mm bolt with 2 nuts welded on it. I heated the housing with mapp gas and had a breaker bar with a 3 foot pole on the end of it for more leverage. I snapped the 1/2" head off the breaker bar. This thing will not come out. Please tell me it's reverse threaded or something. Otherwise idk what else to do.

I got lucky with mine, i pulled the seals out, looked down at that weird ass nut, was like, how the hell am i gonna get that damn thing out, (i didnt have anything big enough handy) so i touched it, and the damn thing wasnt even finger tight, spun right out, no rust, no dirt, i was happy!

Sent using Tapatalk!

Righty tighty- lefty loosy? :lol: (I'm sure your doing it right...i'm just playin')

Try masking off the bottom of the opening with some good duck tape. Then fill the whole thing with Coke. Yes fresh carbonated Coke. It eats rust so well....you'll think twice about ever drinking it again. LOL Let it sit in the bearing/cup over night and then drain. Next fill with W-D 40.

Come back in an hour and give it a try with a fresh breaker bar. Then let us know how it went. :clap:

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

Righty tighty- lefty loosy? :lol: (I'm sure your doing it right...i'm just playin')

Try masking off the bottom of the opening with some good duck tape. Then fill the whole thing with Coke. Yes fresh carbonated Coke. It eats rust so well....you'll think twice about ever drinking it again. LOL Let it sit in the bearing/cup over night and then drain. Next fill with W-D 40.

Come back in an hour and give it a try with a fresh breaker bar. Then let us know how it went. :clap:

I like that. I'll soak it tomorrow and try to break it free Wednesday.

I like that. I'll soak it tomorrow and try to break it free Wednesday.

The main goal is to get the coke into the threads. Filling the bearing won't do you any good. (unless it's rusted in too.)

But try to get the threads in a bath of Coke. It'll eat it's way pretty good. I've done this MANY times over the years. You got about a 50/50 chance.

As Grandpa always said "If you can't get it to loosen......tighten it!" That works too. All it has to do is move, then your golden.

Good Luck.

The main goal is to get the coke into the threads. Filling the bearing won't do you any good. (unless it's rusted in too.)

But try to get the threads in a bath of Coke. It'll eat it's way pretty good. I've done this MANY times over the years. You got about a 50/50 chance.

As Grandpa always said "If you can't get it to loosen......tighten it!" That works too. All it has to do is move, then your golden.

Good Luck.

Mostly its the acid in the soda that eats the rust. First thing I do is switch the wrench when I can get something off and try to tighten it a bit. Sometimes it wont back out but it will break the rust going forward. then out it comes!!

Good posted idea

Adam