Another Cub Thread

Been tosing around the idea of putting a 421 cub together. I would like to just pick up some as cast cylinders, some domes, and pistons. Just wondering how much more of a kick in the ass this 421 out of the box would be compared to my current passion setup. Im seeing online for about a grand i can get the top end that i want (would be getting ahold of andy at M&M this go around). Just wondering if the difference would be worth the cost. First on the list is a longer swing arm though lol.

Thanks

Cody

oh and also, would be going back to 110 octane and bumping the compression up to 180 psi range again.

Also what do you think i could get for my current fresh top end? Details in sig. Would be selling cylinders, domes, and pistons.

Thanks again

Cody

oh and also, would be going back to 110 octane and bumping the compression up to 180 psi range again.

Also what do you think i could get for my current fresh top end? Details in sig. Would be selling cylinders, domes, and pistons.

Thanks again

Cody

I just went from the same engine you have to a 4 mil cub. There is a difference, not sure it is worth the grand I spent. Probably will be after I port it though.

I just went from the same engine you have to a 4 mil cub. There is a difference, not sure it is worth the grand I spent. Probably will be after I port it though.

Are you running a lockup or overide? I will still be doing the occasional trail rides, but the trails i ride are 3rd to 5th pinned most of the time.

Thanks

Cody

Also other opinions wanted!

Dont get me wrong either, this 12 port is awesome pretty much everywhere, but im starting to get more interested in the drag/dune/hillshoot scene as opposed to trail. Think ill be spending 80 percent of my time down at the strip.

If i could get the right price for my current setup i think id be all over the cub(depending on opinons found in this topic), but dont want to give away my fresh topend that i spent gobs of money on.

Edited by papa_smurf49319

Are you running a lockup or overide? I will still be doing the occasional trail rides, but the trails i ride are 3rd to 5th pinned most of the time.

Thanks

Cody

Also other opinions wanted!

Neither! the cub is not producing a dramatic amount more of power than my drag ported HJR 4 mil, which I ran for three seasons on the stock clutch with HD springs and had no problems. Now I have the drive line clutch with their HD springs made for a 4 mil cub. You do not need a lock up for a non ported cub is how I feel so far. Shifting is no different so far, all I have is a modded shift star.

Neither! the cub is not producing a dramatic amount more of power than my drag ported HJR 4 mil, which I ran for three seasons on the stock clutch with HD springs and had no problems. Now I have the drive line clutch with their HD springs made for a 4 mil cub. You do not need a lock up for a non ported cub is how I feel so far. Shifting is no different so far, all I have is a modded shift star.

Sounds good, i have shift star, shift pro, billet basket, pancake bearing, fast clutch, 6 hd springs right now, she holds well. Ill most likely have andy do some massaging to the cub, wont be much though. Definetly dont wanna have to get into lockup and overide.

Been tosing around the idea of putting a 421 cub together. I would like to just pick up some as cast cylinders, some domes, and pistons. Just wondering how much more of a kick in the ass this 421 out of the box would be compared to my current passion setup. Im seeing online for about a grand i can get the top end that i want (would be getting ahold of andy at M&M this go around). Just wondering if the difference would be worth the cost. First on the list is a longer swing arm though lol.

Thanks

Cody

Cody, depends on the Cub and whats done. Those cylinders you have in spot on tune will outrun a stock Cub(and some built ones too). My Cub R&D Program has produced some truely sick 421's. Im going to start supplying a advisory sheet with them from now on that might help.

Basicly you should treat my newest 421's like you would a high powered gun. " Be carefull where you point it, and if you pull the trigger, you better mean it!."...Jim

Cody, depends on the Cub and whats done. Those cylinders you have in spot on tune will outrun a stock Cub(and some built ones too). My Cub R&D Program has produced some truely sick 421's. Im going to start supplying a advisory sheet with them from now on that might help.

Basicly you should treat my newest 421's like you would a high powered gun. " Be carefull where you point it, and if you pull the trigger, you better mean it!."...Jim

Ill be headed your way soon Jim, you got me interested. Offer a trade in program lol? But your right these cylinders do pull like a mofo and whoever I end up passing them on to will be getting one of hell of a motor.

I went from a set of stock cylinders that were supposed to be good for around 80hp to a Passion ported cub. There's quite a bit of difference between the two. It's pretty mean compared to my old stock cylinders.

Question for you and Jim, I definately don't wanna run a lockup or overide. Am I already pushing that right now?Would the passion ported cub put me over the edge?(I'm sure depending on how much massaging Jim would do) Like mentioned above I have all the bolt on tranny mods. Here's another thought I just had, if I could get a noticable jump and power and still be on pump gas as opposed to race gas on my current setup that would be worth it as well.

Edited by papa_smurf49319

I think from what I've been told that you are at the edge as far as a lockup is concerned. You can run a slingshot and still use the stock cover. Not a big deal. I'd think a ported cub would be a clutch eater depending on how it was ridden. You might get away with it trail riding, but that would be a friggin handful in the woods. I wouldn't wanna trail ride mine. Not real aggressively anyway.

Another thing to think about is swinger length. I've got a +6 on mine and still have to ride the radiator to keep the nose down. You go talkin porting a cub and don't put some arm on it the first time it hooks you're gonna be pickin yourself up off the ground.

Lol nice, I was plannin on a +4 already. Need it badly right now. I am 6 foot 200 pounds so that may help a tad.

I'm 6'2" 235 and it hasn't helped me much. With a +4 stocker in the sand and 11 paddle extremes I could pretty well two wheel it down a sand strip goin through most of the gears. It's a handful compared to the stock cylinder 4 mill.