Banshee 499cc

Hello....trying to buy a used banshee...guy has no papers on machine...says its 499cc engine...was beach drag bike then converted back to regular frame but engine was left on bike with no changes. Has after market pipe visable but once again no papers on anything done to engine..so how do i tell...bike is fast although i dont want to pay more than its worth...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hello....trying to buy a used banshee...guy has no papers on machine...says its 499cc engine...was beach drag bike then converted back to regular frame but engine was left on bike with no changes. Has after market pipe visable but once again no papers on anything done to engine..so how do i tell...bike is fast although i dont want to pay more than its worth...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

500cc seems weird unless its a cheeetaahh id definitley ask for a price and more info. Dont forget a pic :rotflmao:

Edited by Hyper

499cc is a measurement that comes from inside the engine so if there is no paper work that is going to prove it then the only other way I would think to verify is to see inside the motor for yourself. Highly unlikely that the seller is going to do that for you. You are going to have to, "have faith," and believe what he says and hand your money over, personally this is not the road I would take. Other option is save extr money you would have spent on this bike and get one way cheaper then build it yourself. This way you know whats in it for sure, and you know its down the way you would want it done because you did it.

You'll have to count the cc's individually. If they all add up to 499 you're good!

Really though, a 500cc bike is going to have a lot of power. If you're used to 450 sport bikes and it feels fast, its not a 500cc bike. If you're used to 450 bikes and this thing scared you, then its possible.

I cannot tell you how to find exactly the displacement, I can provide hints that it is a modified cylinder. If the top end consists of a "monoblock" then it is definately aftermarket. If it is two individual cylinders squished close together its stock. With a 500cc displacement, it will have a longer-than-stock stroke. Pull a plug and insert a straight piece of clean solder (solder allows you to bend it under the gas tank and straighten it as it enters the cylinder. Make a "T" or some shape where you can't drop the solder in the cylinder by accident, and feel for the top of the piston. Turn the kickstart over slowely until the solder reaches its lowest point. Mark where it meets the cylinder head. Turn it over until it reaches the highest point. Mark again at the cylinder head. Remove solder and measure the distance of the marks. This will give you an estimate of stroke. Lastly, what are the pipes? What are other supporting mods? Cylinder compression? If you can post up some detailed pictures.

Thanks in advance

499cc "Beach drag bike" with nothing but an aftermarket pipe? What pipe is on this 500cc beast?...stock carbs still? Sounds more than questionable......

picture of monoblock vs individual cylinders squished together?

You'll have to count the cc's individually. If they all add up to 499 you're good!

Really though, a 500cc bike is going to have a lot of power. If you're used to 450 sport bikes and it feels fast, its not a 500cc bike. If you're used to 450 bikes and this thing scared you, then its possible.

I cannot tell you how to find exactly the displacement, I can provide hints that it is a modified cylinder. If the top end consists of a "monoblock" then it is definately aftermarket. If it is two individual cylinders squished close together its stock. With a 500cc displacement, it will have a longer-than-stock stroke. Pull a plug and insert a straight piece of clean solder (solder allows you to bend it under the gas tank and straighten it as it enters the cylinder. Make a "T" or some shape where you can't drop the solder in the cylinder by accident, and feel for the top of the piston. Turn the kickstart over slowely until the solder reaches its lowest point. Mark where it meets the cylinder head. Turn it over until it reaches the highest point. Mark again at the cylinder head. Remove solder and measure the distance of the marks. This will give you an estimate of stroke. Lastly, what are the pipes? What are other supporting mods? Cylinder compression? If you can post up some detailed pictures.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Now that is some funny ass shit. Thanks for a good laugh!

an easier formula for displacement is bore x bore x stroke x .0007854 x number of cylinders

That being said see if the seller will tell you what type of cylinder it is. What the bore is and what the stroke is. Stock banshee is 64mm bore 54mm stroke x2 cylinders for 347cc. Pics would help us to possibly tell you what type of cylinder it is.

-Brandon