Jet help - stock with Toomey T5 pipes

jsottile

My elevation is 1,950 but I run anywhere from 1,600 to 2,200 feet. Temperatures here in PA when I ride range from 50 and 60's in the evenings to high 80's in the summer. Bike is stock with the exception is the Tommey T5 pipes. I just bought the quad and it seemed to be running a little lean. I pulled the carbs and the previous owner had 260 main jets in it. I believe I am going to need 280 main jets. Also, I am going to be running a K&N filter with no airbox lid. I will be replacing the stock reeds with boyseen reeds. I also adjusted the floats and ensured the clip on the needle was in the 4th groove (which it was). Regarding the needle, do I need to replace the needle as I see the Toomey instructions says to replace it with the one supplied in their kit? Also, how could I tell if I already have the Toomey needle? Based on the Toomey instructions, it looks like I can leave in teh stock pilot jet.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...