Glamis Info

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're from out of state and we're fine with our own state registration, no special visitor passes...Buy your weekly pass "offsite" for $25 vs. $40 at the dunes......Also if you hit Gordons, the Pair o dice bar/grill changed their name to "Duners Diner" a few yrs ago....Boardmanville is closed and has been for awhile...Wash 10 is blocked off and if you go over the tracks, the rangers will chase you :)

Just to clear some things up, because I WAS the law out there for a couple years, YES technically you are required to buy a Non Resident OHV Use Permit, if your state does not require registration. If your state gives you a registration plate, or sticker, you're fine. Regarding Arizona's RV plate, you MUST have an OHV Endorsement sticker on your RV plate now in the ISDRA. If you don't have the OHV endorsement you must purchase a Non Resident OHV Use Permit.

The Arizona "RV" plate is title only; it is not registration or the equivalent to a California OHV identification sticker. The terms identification and registration in California both refer to the payment of recurring fees to the DMV to allow legal operation of OHVs on public lands.

The Arizona "RV" plate is no longer accepted for operation in California unless it has a valid Arizona OHV decal on it.

Also one thing people don't think about, if your drivers license is suspended or revoked, you are NOT allowed to ride/drive/operate ANYTHING on OR offroad. That includes ATV's.

If your license is suspended, you can’t drive on or off-highway.

CVC 14601.1. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when his or her driving privilege is suspended or revoked for any reason other than those listed in Section 14601, 14601.2, or 14601.5, if the person so driving has knowledge of the suspension or revocation.

Regarding the Spark Arrestors. TECHNICALLY, yes it's required, however, there is a loophole in the law that prevents the law from being applied at Glamis, Octotillo wells, and pretty much any "desert" riding area in California. Pismo/Oceano is also exempt. If you get a ticket for it, you probably were doing something so ridiculous that you deserve it; BUT, if you do, you can get out of it by showing them their own law:

CVC 38366 (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in effective working order.

[Also one thing people don't think about, if your drivers license is suspended or revoked, you are NOT allowed to ride/drive/operate ANYTHING on OR offroad. That includes ATV's.

Hey Matt, how would this apply to kids under the legal age to have a license ? Couldn't they technically keep them from ridding?

[Also one thing people don't think about, if your drivers license is suspended or revoked, you are NOT allowed to ride/drive/operate ANYTHING on OR offroad. That includes ATV's.

Hey Matt, how would this apply to kids under the legal age to have a license ? Couldn't they technically keep them from ridding?

Nope, because they never had a license to suspend in the first place. There are exceptions as the quote states. I don't know all of them, but SOME of the exceptions are for certain medical conditions for which your license has been suspended.

The goal behind that implementation is to keep "unsafe/stupid" drivers from driving/riding where us and our kids play. If someone was fuckin' stupid enough to get their license suspended on the well maintained and regulated roads, what are they going to do in a "free range" environment with no rules?

The same laws apply to boats, PWC, and snow machines.

Correctamundo on the having to have OHV stickers on our RV plates.. Have to have them to ride anywhere in AZ as well ($25 per yr)........Just a few trips ago, we pull in and start unloading bikes and the BLM roll up on us and start checking for regristration and what not, well my buddies banshee had an expired OHV sticker on the plate (6 months) and they told him if that quad comes off the trailer, they'll impound it.

Correctamundo on the having to have OHV stickers on our RV plates.. Have to have them to ride anywhere in AZ as well ($25 per yr)........Just a few trips ago, we pull in and start unloading bikes and the BLM roll up on us and start checking for regristration and what not, well my buddies banshee had an expired OHV sticker on the plate (6 months) and they told him if that quad comes off the trailer, they'll impound it.

Yeah, anything over 6 months is impoundable, on-road, or off-road. There are like 4 stores in Brawley that sell the Non-Resident permits, though. Hopefully you guys were able to get one and didn't have to leave the bike parked... :shrugani: . I want to say they are like $23 or something for the year.

I have a current sticker on the bike, but I can't find the paper that came with the sticker that shows the VIN and my name and address. Is this going to be a problem?

Again, "TECHNICALLY" yes, you are required by law to carry either the original, or the copy of your registration. I know in CA, if we lose the registration, we can either go to the DMV, or AAA and they can print off another copy of it.

Yeah, anything over 6 months is impoundable, on-road, or off-road. There are like 4 stores in Brawley that sell the Non-Resident permits, though. Hopefully you guys were able to get one and didn't have to leave the bike parked... :shrugani: . I want to say they are like $23 or something for the year.

Again, "TECHNICALLY" yes, you are required by law to carry either the original, or the copy of your registration. I know in CA, if we lose the registration, we can either go to the DMV, or AAA and they can print off another copy of it.

In Oregon it is done through the Parks Department and they don't issue a duplicate, you have to get a whole new sticker for the bike. But it is only $10 for 2 years.

But I do have the original title that was issued through DMV. In Oregon currently ATVs are titled(optionally) through DMV and registered through the Parks Dept., at the time I bought my 89 it was all done with DMV.

Edited by bansheesandrider

In Oregon it is done through the Parks Department and they don't issue a duplicate, you have to get a whole new sticker for the bike. But it is only $10 for 2 years.

But I do have the original title that was issued through DMV. In Oregon currently ATVs are titled(optionally) through DMV and registered through the Parks Dept., at the time I bought my 89 it was all done with DMV.

I'd just pay the 10 bucks, and be done with it, keep the paper with you. There's no reason NOT to, really.

bansheesandrider,

Myself along with 3 good friends will be camping at Gordons Well this weekend..We'll be pullin in this Fri evening the 23rd, no girls just a guy trip, so we're planning on getting some good riding in.

You and your bud are more then welcome to join us at our camp....Show you guys around, dune out to patton valley, ride across to buttercup and hit some huuuge bowls on the west end of buttercup.

Got the duners diner resturaunt/store/bar right there too.....Let me know if your interested.

Right now everything is up in the air, the moron we are dealing with on the farm implement refuses to return our calls so we don't know when we are leaving. I figured we need 6 days to make the trip and I have to be home Monday AM for a doctors appointment. SO, as it stands now we either won't be going till next week or I have to change my appt. Thanks for the offer and all the help everybody has offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back last night, the trip went off without a hitch. We stayed at a hotel in El Centro and rode from Pad 2 on Gecko Rd. on Wednesday and from the Buttercup Ranger station on Thursday. All I can say is that it was awesome!!! 2 days was definetly not enough time there, but the only out of pocket expense I had was our pass, bike gas and some food. The boss paid for all the fuel, the hotel and some of the food. I will definetly be going back with the wife and some friends. We got a feel for what is there and what we will need when we go for a week or more next time.