4mil stroker jetting help please

bansheeboie

hey fellas i have a hjr 4mil dune port,30 over stock cylinders,cool head,t5,34mm keihin carbs,at sea level,stock gearing. i have 160main and a 55pilot currently installed and it has a sputter/bog in the top end of some of the gears when wide open. any suggestions would help. also has vforce 3

yea shes def rich fellas. ima have to switch it up. with the 160 and 55 it feels ok on the bottom end throttle response is slightly off. but on the top end of the gears its definitly not there it sputters and bogs. i was thinkin a 52pilot and a 165 main with needle 2nd from top wat u think?

• 2 weeks later...

ok i went to a 52 pilot and a 152main and it was a little lean on one side so i put the needle clip in the middle n it helped slightly but not fully. shud i go to a 155main? or 158. i cant get my bike to idle either without me feeding it gas slightly until its kinda hot. i need some help fellas to get this running right.

I'm guessing you didn't read that thread with info about adjusting your cable to correct the issue with one side running leaner than the other.

If it idled ok with the 55, then you should have left that alone and only adjusted your mains. Main jet is not for idling, it's for wide open throttle. Your needle and needle position control throttle response from off idle to wide open throttle. If it seems too lean on top with the 152, then put a 155 in there and adjust your needle clip position until it revs crisp and clean. Once you find the right jet for the main (when your plugs show it) then you adjust your needle to get a smooth transition. If you try every clip position and it won't rev clean, then you might need to change the needle to get the correct taper.

yea i read the thread b4 and did as it said i got my carbs syncd but now one side smokes more than other. i put a 155main in today but didnt get a chance to ride it and c how the plugs looked, i idled it for about 10 15min and checkd the plugs but i guess u cant tell unless after u rip it?? also with the 155main i noticed that my right pipe is smoking alot and my left pipe barley is. and i have a 52pilot and cant get it to idle so shud i go to a 55?? i appreciate the help bbbanshee

You can't get an honest plug reading without running it wide open for at least 5 gears...at the end of the last gear, pull the clutch in and shut the engine off and coast to a stop. Pull out your plug wrench, change your plugs, ride back to wherever and check the plugs you made a pass on (they need to be new plugs to do this test).

As I said before, if you had a 55 in it at first and it idled OK, go back to it.

When did you notice the one side smoking more than the other? Did you by chance leave one choke on and not turn it off? Where are your air screws set on each carb? How fresh is this setup?