Which Flywheel Tool?

jamebo

I've got to remove my flywheel to inspect the stator. I have an impact for removing the nut and a threaded puller, but assume I'll need to hold the wheel when I go to torque the nut back down. I notice there are two general types of holders, the vise grip kind for the holes, and the strap wrench. Which one works the best, or does it really matter?

I have a threaded puller, but looking for the best type of flywheel holder for when I torque the nut back on. I've seen some on eBay for around forty bucks that insert into the holes on the flywheel, but wondering if I can get away with just using a strap wrench like they sell at Sears to keep it from turning while I torque it back down.

Sounds good, guys. I wasn't sure how important the torque specs were, but I guess it's just to insure the nut doesn't back off. The impact wrench should be insurance enough, then lol. I'll dab some blue thread locker on and impact her down. Thanks for the replies everybody.

Sounds good, guys. I wasn't sure how important the torque specs were, but I guess it's just to insure the nut doesn't back off. The impact wrench should be insurance enough, then lol. I'll dab some blue thread locker on and impact her down. Thanks for the replies everybody.

Once you remove the nut,you will not need it again until you put the flywheel back on.The correct puller threads into the flywheel in reverse.So lube the threads and install the puller in as far as you can with a cresant or channel locks or you could pull the threads out.Once installed i use a impact so no need for a holder. :cheers:

Once you remove the nut,you will not need it again until you put the flywheel back on.The correct puller threads into the flywheel in reverse.So lube the threads and install the puller in as far as you can with a cresant or channel locks or you could pull the threads out.Once installed i use a impact so no need for a holder. :cheers:

Thanks sstaton, I'll be pulling it tomorrow. Think my stator is bad, so I may not be putting the flywheel back on till a replacement stator comes in. I checked it with a multimeter, and it read good at 18.1.. but I think it could possibly still be bad. I have spark, but not consistantly. I removed the stator cover and peeped through the holes in the flywheel at the stator, and one of the poles has some burnt looking dark discoloration on it. I'm thinking it may have broken or shorted out wires in it, but I'll know for sure tomorrow when I get the flywheel off and have a good look at it.

watch your reinstall tq on the gun you dont need 500ft lbs of slamming tq to get it on. you will just strip the nut or stretch/break the crank

Roger that, cam. I'll set the impact on the first setting, which is 170 lbs if I remember right, and just give it a couple good jolts. Your right about that, I sure as heck don't want to damage the crank on it!

Roger that, cam. I'll set the impact on the first setting, which is 170 lbs if I remember right, and just give it a couple good jolts. Your right about that, I sure as heck don't want to damage the crank on it!

I prefer to use a torque wrench on all my engine fasteners. Never had anything thattorqued properly come loose nor have I stripped or broken any expensive parts(crank). If you get the one that goes in the holes it will also work to hold the clutch hub.

I prefer to use a torque wrench on all my engine fasteners. Never had anything thattorqued properly come loose nor have I stripped or broken any expensive parts(crank). If you get the one that goes in the holes it will also work to hold the clutch hub.

I think I am going to order one of those, sounds like a very useful tool. I ended up removing the wheel and inspecting the stator, but the dark stuff I saw on it turned out to be some kind of glue or something. I could buff it off with a rag, so I guess it wasn't burnt after all. Had some problems with my compressor not being big enough for the impact, it did finally remove the nut.. but I decided to torque it down with a torque wrench just to be sure to get it tight enough. Used a strap wrench, but learned the hard way about busted knuckles with those, lol. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but went to the Daytona 500 over the weekend. Sat all day in the rain yesterday only for them to postpone it till today. Which I can't attend because I have to work. Guess you win some and some you lose, lol.

I think I am going to order one of those, sounds like a very useful tool. I ended up removing the wheel and inspecting the stator, but the dark stuff I saw on it turned out to be some kind of glue or something. I could buff it off with a rag, so I guess it wasn't burnt after all. Had some problems with my compressor not being big enough for the impact, it did finally remove the nut.. but I decided to torque it down with a torque wrench just to be sure to get it tight enough. Used a strap wrench, but learned the hard way about busted knuckles with those, lol. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but went to the Daytona 500 over the weekend. Sat all day in the rain yesterday only for them to postpone it till today. Which I can't attend because I have to work. Guess you win some and some you lose, lol.

If I had tickets to the 500, I'd be calling in sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks sstaton, I'll be pulling it tomorrow. Think my stator is bad, so I may not be putting the flywheel back on till a replacement stator comes in. I checked it with a multimeter, and it read good at 18.1.. but I think it could possibly still be bad. I have spark, but not consistantly. I removed the stator cover and peeped through the holes in the flywheel at the stator, and one of the poles has some burnt looking dark discoloration on it. I'm thinking it may have broken or shorted out wires in it, but I'll know for sure tomorrow when I get the flywheel off and have a good look at it.

i dont know if you have pulled the fly wheel yet,but you should check your pick up coil gap.i think its around .018 if i remember right.my gap was to big and my bike would not spark unless you pull started it.

@ bansheesandrider, Though tempting, with the job I have it's very important for me to be there.. there are not enough operators to cover for me. Also my boss knew where I was at and that the race was postponed, lol.

sstaton It checked out at .20 with a feeler gauge, so it's pretty close. Do you think it would help if I closed the gap a little more?

@ bansheesandrider, Though tempting, with the job I have it's very important for me to be there.. there are not enough operators to cover for me. Also my boss knew where I was at and that the race was postponed, lol.

sstaton It checked out at .20 with a feeler gauge, so it's pretty close. Do you think it would help if I closed the gap a little more?

i would go between .15 and .18. .20 is to wide imo.Oh and check the gap at both square tabs on the flywheel i have seen some variance in different flywheels.