Questions About Sand Trak

1998BansheeLover

So i see a lot of guys running their banshees with sand trak extremes, and some haulers. Since the paddles are flat and dont have any Vs, Can you Corner with them? Like if i want to run up a dune and do a 180, would they work or are they just for dragging mainly? I'm building a duner and want to have a good paddle tire to rip up the dunes cruising and dragging. I've heard Sand Trak Edges are good for duning and dragging, but are they any better than the Itp sand stars? Everyone i ride with the sand stars and like them. Whats the best all around tire?

Thanks

Tony

Edited by 1998BansheeLover

So i see a lot of guys running their banshees with sand trak extremes, and some haulers. Since the paddles are flat and dont have any Vs, Can you Corner with them? Like if i want to run up a dune and do a 180, would they work or are they just for dragging mainly? I'm building a duner and want to have a good paddle tire to rip up the dunes cruising and dragging. I've heard Sand Trak Edges are good for duning and dragging, but are they any better than the Itp sand stars? Everyone i ride with the sand stars and like them. Whats the best all around tire?

Thanks

Tony

I LOVED my sand stars... absolutely my favorite tire, hands down. I never really drag raced, but my pretty much stock 350 would launch well with them, and I could get the shit as far sideways as I wanted.

On the other hand, people LOVE haulers for duning as well.

If it was me, I'd buy the full set of sand stars. The fronts grab the sand VERY well, and the rears hooked up the perfect amount for me.

Sand stars are good tires, but you will never get them to hook up like a hauler or extreme. Sand stars are good for overall duning. If your into dragging or holeshots haulers are a much better choice. You can still do 180's or anything else you want to do with them.

From my experience the straight paddles are a little harder to get started going sideways, but once you get them going they snap right out there. Plus they do give you a lot better push on the straight runs. I liked the haulers that I borrowed for a couple trips over my sand stars, that'll be my next set of paddles.

once you get use to the different feeling you can do whatever. just a different feeling.

i feel that an 8 paddle straight slides easier than a v paddle. the big difference is the bike wants to go straight when you really have the hammer down alot more than the v paddles. something to keep in mind when tearing up the trails.

I used to run sand stars all the time before i moved to oklahoma and i could never keep air in those cocksuckers. i stopped using them for that reason. the beads leak after a year of use it seems like :confused:

Ok i'll keep my eyes out for both. I'm going to Little Sahara In April. Building my banshee right now. Plan to do a lot of duning, but will drag a lot too. But I have a Ltr 450 im going to be duning with too. If I was going to get some Skat Trak what would you suggest? My motor setup is going to be

*HJR Dune Port (stock stroke)

*V Force 3 reeds

* Cpi Inframes

* Noss Cool head with 21cc domes

Thanks Tony

Not to thread jack, but I figured the OP would like to know this as well, would you guys recommend 22x11x8 8 paddle extremes over 20x10x8 8 paddle extremes for all around duning?

22x11x8 8 paddles won't slide out as easy as the 22x10's

For duning my favorite tire is my 21/12/8 8 paddle Skat trak Edge. I have haulers and extremes in various sizes and for duning the Edge is my favorite. For the OP. As a general rule, the taller the tire, and also the smaller 8 inch wheel, will hook harder. There is a huge difference in say 20/10/10 8 paddle haulers to a 22/11/8 8 paddle hauler.

I have a set of 20x10x10 Sand Skate II's on 10x9's.

I wish they were 20x10x8's, but they'd be heavy.

They're fun, but I want to try something different.

I plan to run either a HJR Aggressive MX Port, or a HJR Dune Port, so figure 60-65whp on a stock swinger.

Aggressive Dune Play, basically MX in the dunes.

Thinking 20x10x8 8 paddle Extremes.

What do you guys think.

I have a set of 20x10x10 Sand Skate II's on 10x9's.

I wish they were 20x10x8's, but they'd be heavy.

They're fun, but I want to try something different.

I plan to run either a HJR Aggressive MX Port, or a HJR Dune Port, so figure 60-65whp on a stock swinger.

Aggressive Dune Play, basically MX in the dunes.

Thinking 20x10x8 8 paddle Extremes.

What do you guys think.

A little bit different animal, but on my stock swinger, 64whp LTR, the 20x10x8 7 extremes work excellent, for hauling ass MX'ing through the dunes.

would 22-11-8 8 paddle haulers me too tall for a stock swinger?...

IMO that's too much tire/traction for a stock length arm. I think it would be a bitch to keep the front end down on take off and would feel tippy in the turns.