Melted Piston

Chip M

96 Banshee is getting a new top end. One of the pistons is in average shape(for a wore out piston) and the other has a melted spot on the top-front of it. Any ideas on what could have caused this so I can repair/replace the problem before firing it up with new pistons. I bought the shee this way so I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. It has a Pro Design coolhead, VForce reed valves and FMF pipes. I am not sure yet about any other mods. Thanks to all of you for your Banshee knowledge.

Didn't by chance do a leakdown before tearing it apart did you? Which side is melted? Pics would help. Do a compression test? Could either been an air leak or plugged jets in carb melting it down. Clean the carbs, petcock, and flush tank before start-up. If they are stock carbs clean one at a time as they have different parts in them. If you didn't do a leakdown consider throwing head back on even if you have to use some sealer to rule out leaks at gaskets or crank seals, or case leak, JMHO. :cheers:

No leak down test done. The case is ready to split now so I am a little to far to back up. It was the left side melted and compression was 110 on the right and just below 90 psi on the left. I called the previous owner and he said he ran with a leaky left pipe at the cylinder before he put on the FMF's. I am putting all new seals and gaskets in at assembly and I will go through the carbs as you suggested. The cylinder bores were within .001 of being straight and round but the left side was .006 oversize. Cut rate bore job I guess. Thanks for the carb heads-up

96 Banshee is getting a new top end. One of the pistons is in average shape(for a wore out piston) and the other has a melted spot on the top-front of it. Any ideas on what could have caused this so I can repair/replace the problem before firing it up with new pistons. I bought the shee this way so I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. It has a Pro Design coolhead, VForce reed valves and FMF pipes. I am not sure yet about any other mods. Thanks to all of you for your Banshee knowledge.

I had the same problem same side. It was an air leak with the crank seal. But be sure to clean your carbs and your air filter.

Check around the intakes as well after you get it all back together. Had one burn up on me because of it not sealing there. Just be sure to do a leak down after you get it all assembled, bet you already planned on it just wanted to make sure. Also be sure to check all your nuts and bolts after it has been ran and had a chance to get heated up. Good luck!!