What is glamis like?

Yamahabansheebros

Random question.. Is glamis as crazy as it seems in glamis gone wild and quicksand?

No, not at all...

During certain holiday weekends, at certain times of night, yeah, you'll get big parties. But also, when there's a camera around, people do stupid shit.

We go on pretty much every holiday weekend, and I can honestly say I've seen like two sets of tits in more than 15 years. The key is, if you aren't into that crowd, just don't go to Olds at midnight on a saturday night of a holiday weekend.

The troublemakers are almost NEVER out in the dunes. Most of them show up in mommy and daddy's 4wd explorer or expedition, go to the bottom of Olds, get drunk and start shit.

We almost never go to the hill at night. If we do, we stay way off to the side, run the hill, then hit the dunes.

Like matt said, it depends on when and where you are at. During the week its pretty damn tame. Big holiday weekend it can get pretty nuts. I stayed down in the flats for new years 2011 and it was pretty mellow all week until new years eve, then they threw a big ass concert/party. luckily i took ear plugs or i wouldnt have gotten any sleep at all. I also try to stay away from the hill at night unless on the outskirts and watching, but that goes for any dune spot anymore. Im just not into the drunken crowd thing. 15 years ago i was fine with it now i just want to chill.

Like matt said, it depends on when and where you are at. During the week its pretty damn tame. Big holiday weekend it can get pretty nuts. I stayed down in the flats for new years 2011 and it was pretty mellow all week until new years eve, then they threw a big ass concert/party. luckily i took ear plugs or i wouldnt have gotten any sleep at all. I also try to stay away from the hill at night unless on the outskirts and watching, but that goes for any dune spot anymore. Im just not into the drunken crowd thing. 15 years ago i was fine with it now i just want to chill.

Damn phil. My parents took me to Glamis when I was 8 days old, and I've been going ever since, but I have NEVER had the balls to stay at vendors... It's always pretty crazy there, but being walking distance to breakfast burritos is HUGE plus. We always seem to get a nice big spot somewhere in wash 4. Our group usually has about 10-12 coaches and trailers. We're a big enough group that we should have our own post office sometimes.

I wish I had the cash flow to be able to stay out there for 3 or 4 weeks like we used to, but the damn real estate market is slowly recovering, which means I make less moolah.

As with any recreational sport, really, it's all about who you hang out with. The group I go with is a bunch of rich old farts, and their adult children, with their children. We keep it low key and have a blast.

We need to hook up out there Phil. Sounds like our groups are pretty much the same.

Yep for sure, next time im there, im calling you and you have to show up or im going to mail you a pile of poo. That was actually my first and perhaps last time staying in the flats. Previously I have stayed with my family on gecko. The group i went with this last time for some reason likes the flats. They are a bunch of rich old farts as well and i would think they would want to get away from that mess. I think they arent comfortable venturing off into the washes or off the sides of gecko because they think they might get their big ass diesel pushers stuck or something i dont know. i just go with the flow anymore. As long as im not at work i am happy with whatever the camping conditions. Hell I dont even care about the riding all that much anymore. Lately i have prefered to skip the sand all together and go to the desert because i can take the toys that go bang as well as the ones that go vroom. Pretty sure the glamis rangers would frown upon me sending the .338 downrange and lighting of tannerite at 6 in the morning. Nothing say wakey wakey like 5 pounds of tannerite :ph34r:

Good thread. i was wondering myself what it was like i see pictures of the dunes and they look awesome but then i watch all these riding videos from there and it looks like a complete zoo. it s nice to hear its not that way out there all the time. id love to go but have always been deterred by the opions that these riding moves have put in my head.

Good thread. i was wondering myself what it was like i see pictures of the dunes and they look awesome but then i watch all these riding videos from there and it looks like a complete zoo. it s nice to hear its not that way out there all the time. id love to go but have always been deterred by the opions that these riding moves have put in my head.

I've ridden/been to quite a few different sets of dunes in different places of the country. Nothing compares to the experience you'll get at Glamis. It's not just about the excellent riding, there. Sounds cliche, but it's the whole experience. Glamis literally turns into it's own complete functioning city during the season. I have been out in the dunes on new years weekend and we went on a 4 hour ride. We counted 6 other people we encountered in the dunes. It's so huge that when there's 100,000 people there, you hit the dunes, and you're practically alone. You may never see another person until you head back towards the camps. There's nothing like it.

We have the least amount of rules out of anywhere I've ridden. Absolutely no timeframe you must be off the dunes by. No stupid "quiet time". No lame spark arrestors. No ridiculous fees, just to get onto the sand. Buy a week pass for 35 bucks, camp anywhere your rig can go. There's bathrooms at every wash, and scattered all over Gecko Rd (On busy weekends they can get pretty nasty). Have a flag on your bike/buggy/sxs, wear a helmet if you're riding, and you won't get dicked with if you're not being stupid. Cruise slowly through the camps, and just basically DON'T give them a reason to stop you and they won't. I have NEVER gotten pulled over once out there. The jackasses who get messed with, were doing something to get stopped. Remember, all they care about is drinking and riding/driving. They use every reason to stop people to see if they've been drinking. So, DON'T drink and ride/drive and you'll be just fine.

I was pretty bummed when I watched a bunch of videos from Cancun, and I got there, and it was nothing like the videos on youtube... Same thing here.

Well seeing how you are located the same place I am I will give you my thoughts on Glamis lol.

We went to Glamis for the first time 2 years ago and after riding the Oregon dunes for many years I was really looking forward to getting to Glamis. I will say it was fun but not what I had exected. If you like high speed open dunes then Glamis is the place for you to go but if you enjoy the hard stuff that takes some skill to ride then it is not the place for you. We did have a good time and we will go back but no matter how many different places we go and all the states we keep traveling to Oregon still have the biggest variety when it comes to the riding you can do on the dunes. Also we went on a off weekend and it was very mild nothing crazy at all going on.

I must say the drags on Gecko road kicked ass I had a blast running those by buddies had to make me shut my bike down because I was just going to keep making passes till that sucker burned up lol.

We went there last year and it was pretty dead..had fun ridein the bowls. most excitement there was when a kids throttle stuck wide open on top of olds and he hit revers down the hill he went and my buddy running after him. hit the kill switch almost to the bottom. then my buddy face planted it...

• 3 weeks later...

Well seeing how you are located the same place I am I will give you my thoughts on Glamis lol.

We went to Glamis for the first time 2 years ago and after riding the Oregon dunes for many years I was really looking forward to getting to Glamis. I will say it was fun but not what I had exected. If you like high speed open dunes then Glamis is the place for you to go but if you enjoy the hard stuff that takes some skill to ride then it is not the place for you. We did have a good time and we will go back but no matter how many different places we go and all the states we keep traveling to Oregon still have the biggest variety when it comes to the riding you can do on the dunes. Also we went on a off weekend and it was very mild nothing crazy at all going on.

I must say the drags on Gecko road kicked ass I had a blast running those by buddies had to make me shut my bike down because I was just going to keep making passes till that sucker burned up lol.

Great, here i was thinking for the 24 years of my life Glamis is the place to be.....after hearing this that's kinda disappointing. Ive been in Coos Bay riding the dunes here my entire life. so unless i got a 10mill+ drag bike im not gonna have fun? that sucks lol. Guess i better keep enjoying my sand dunes...all there doing is getting smaller with all this closing stuff off shit....damn snowy plover.

Edited by oblivionor