RACE GAS QUESTIONS

TORQUEDFORD

If I buy 110 or 112 race gas, how high roughly can my compression be on it safely. This is stupid because I have not done a compression test on my motor yet to see what I got but am running out of time. I have a good comp tester and will take it with me when I go. I have a Serval 4 mill, 35mm carbs. I have 22cc domes in my head. I have not run this combo before. Any Ideas on what it should be compession wise at California. Glamis is 335 feet. I am at 4600 or so.

At 4600 feet you will be fine. However If it were me I would mix race gas when you go to glamis. If you keep the timing tame and can find the 93 octane you may be ok on pump but the tune would have to be perfect. However most places only carry 91 premium around here. My 421 serval came with 24cc domes because I only ride near sea level and wanted to run straight pump

Oh and as to your original question. 2 of my motors kick in the 185-190 psi range and I run sunnoco 110 or 112 with no problems. Your set up will not be that high.

I ended up doing a compression test before I left, at my elevation in Utah I had 170 psi on an un-broken in motor. It has been my experience that they usually gain 5- psi when they break in. I ended up buying straight race gas out of the pump, 110 Sunnoco in Yuma, and backed my timing down to 0 degrees on the plate. I never did do another compression test down there to see what it was but it had to be close to 190 psi I would guess. Everything worked out o.k., the engine ran good but I took it easy on it for the most part. Got after it a handfull of times on the sand highway where they race on the last day. I was going to change my domes but the air freight never made it before we left. Thanks for the info.

I ended up doing a compression test before I left, at my elevation in Utah I had 170 psi on an un-broken in motor. It has been my experience that they usually gain 5- psi when they break in. I ended up buying straight race gas out of the pump, 110 Sunnoco in Yuma, and backed my timing down to 0 degrees on the plate. I never did do another compression test down there to see what it was but it had to be close to 190 psi I would guess. Everything worked out o.k., the engine ran good but I took it easy on it for the most part. Got after it a handfull of times on the sand highway where they race on the last day. I was going to change my domes but the air freight never made it before we left. Thanks for the info.

Do you know actual compression Ratio? Port timing affects your psi. But all the power to you to run 110. IF your gunna run 110, crank your timing to +6 or +8. Mide as well use that octane for full advantage.