My Banshee Story

ticktock

Hey all,

So here is my Banshee story. It upsets me some days, but it is what it is.

In 2006 I bought my second banshee. Another J-Arm. Something about a J-arm is classic to me. When I first got this banshee it did not run correctly, I prolly overpaid, 1900 in 06 while they were still making new. First was to replace the boot on the 2-1 kit, changed needles, re-jetted all up and down the scale from 30's - 75 pilot and nothing would make this machine run like it should. I changed Needles and finally gave up. It had great top-end but bogged to 1/2. Well between trips to Iraq I pulled it all apart, cleaned everything, installed new seals, reassembled the base and deployed. Now, I came back 4 months later and never could be home more than 2 weeks at a time. in 2011 I got sick of looking at the damn thing and I started putting it back together. I checked the cylinders, purchased new pistons and put it all back together. Now, it still didn't run right! It was better but not correct. I replaced the reeds with vforce3, changed out the carb and things are closer.

Riding the other week the machine just wouldn't shift. I had to replace the shifter as it was worn out, the essentric screw was also grooved bad and there was not adjustment left. Needless to say I had to get a new shaft, chose the modded from FAST and new parts to assemble the transmission. A screw broke off and that caused me to drill baby drill. I had to grind out one of the M4 screws behind the clutch basket, and then use a ReCoil kit to fix (same as a Helicoil), I also upsized the bolts to M5's and changed them to Allen heads. Last weekend I reassembled the motor and started it today.

Low and behold it fires up, and I have this great NEW noise from the clutch area. So I drain everything, see metal flake in the oil, maybe I couldn't catch all the metal flying around as I ground the bolt out with a Dremel. I taped everything off good though. So I pull the clutch basket to check the screws I put in, nothing. I looked at all the gears, moving parts and whatever else was around - Nothing. Then I pick the clutch basket up and see that the cushions are all shot in the clutch basket - 1-800-jeff-@F.A.S.T.again. I think he puts others on hold just to deal with my crap.

I never can seem to get ahead with this 22 year old piece of crap. I fix whats broke, plan on doing more, building a motor, something. Then it goes to hell in a hand basket because random needed maint. has to be done just to keep it going. The only thing that I can say, is I have a parts list and when something is broken I just cross it off the list!

Well hope you guys cannot relate to this story and I hope that your Banshee's are much easier to upgrade and take care of,

Adam

Welcome to the world of the modded bansehee!! 2 hours of bliss followed by three months of headache! I will tell you this, if you keep your shit clean and maintained, your problem will almost never be a carb problem. If it is jetted close, it should run through the power band. I rebuilt a bilke and modded it to where I felt comfortable with maintenance and reliability. My story involved fouling plugs, high comp domes and race gas! I chased jetting all over the place, hard starting, you name it and I tried it. Problem turned out to be a bad flywheel that had obviously been pulled off using an incorrect puller because all the magnets were broken. Generator and electrical problems seem to be the hard ones to diagnose.

you will gain! mine used to be the most unreliable pos ever. now i can go beat it like a cheap hooker AND it drives back onto the trailer under its own power!

Ive gotten in the habit when in the engine that if it even might be bad, it gets replaced. I own stock in oem yamaha parts :) bike bandit loves me.

Hey Adam,

Can I assume the Shee's down. Just curious because Saturday's looking pretty good for some ridin' :headbang:

You may have to break out that pretty CR you've got hidden in the corner. :rotflmao:

Troy

Edited by troyzstang

Troy,

I have toys to ride don't worry! I pulled the motor last night. I have a stripped cylinder stud I'm waiting on a EZ LOK which should be in the mail today. Going to drill it out, rethread then put it back together. I'm waiting on a clutch basket. Hopefully get that Friday/Saturday.

I should get the 450r motor Friday too lol. Project 1&2 should be done this weekend then it's time to put the 250r together. I really have way too many toys ATM. I need to repack my storage unit and get everything on the trailer so I can clean my garage.

Trying to build 3 bikes at once is fun lol

Adam

i can feel your pain bro, when i put my banshee together it took me 2 trips to busco and 1 trip to slades to figure out my electrical problem but it was worth it. anything i can do to help just let me know, when i got my banshee it was in a box and i had never put a banshee together before :shootself: you know where i am at and i will help with anything i can :cheers:

So are you free for Saturday.

Justin has a few friends are going down I think. There gathering at his place around 10AM.

We're going to leave from here about the same time and meet up.

I hope you can make.

Troy & Bridgette

a properly built motor will last a long time. if you deal with someone who has seen all the problems with one and can fix them the first time it goes a long long way.

i rember my first few years with dealing with these things it was very exspensive and time consuming. it took a long itme of replacing junk aftermarket shit and realizing what works and what dosent. when you get that all figured out they are very reliable and shit loads of fun to ride..

Banshees are so simple bro, in a minute you will have replaced EVERYTHING! I have a 99 and the only thing original is the engine case I think! I enjoy riding and working on it! Stress reliever for me! I work on most of my padnas bikes too cuz they can't turn a screwdriver without stripping something. Good luck bro just keep replacing the old with the new!eaf6c9bd.jpg