Overheating/Mod questions/First post

Hey guys. I bought a banshee a few month back and I have been having a blast with it. I just have a few questions. Here is what I kow about it. It has been rejetted, +4 rear axles, K&N drop in filter, tors are cut, All Balls tirerods, 13/41 gears, FMF Gold exhaust and power cores... other than that I think its stock. 127/129psi on the compression test and it passed the leak down test. No pressure lost over 15min. Im running 93 @ 40:1 and br8es and ATF in the crank case. Im not new to 2strokes just banshee's.

Question 1

If I ride trails and go kinda slow it will boil over. Im guessing it from not enough air flow. I added a HI-Flow water pump and a higher pressure cap and I have not had time to get back on the trails but do you guys think thats going to help? I want to avoid the $350 radiator.

Question 2

What is a good intake kit for it? This is one I was going to get.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/174/734/-/-/68815/Toomey-2-Into-1-Air-Filter-With-Outerwear-2002-Yamaha-BANSHEE-350-

Question 3

Are these stock A-arms? and if so can I replace the ball joints? I already broke a tierod so I put some "all balls" on.

2011-12-27_13-50-52_845.jpg

Question 4

Where does this wire go? I found it floating around.

2011-12-28_08-03-50_851.jpg

2011-12-28_08-03-41_174.jpg

Question 5

Does anyone make good skid plates? My swing arm one got beat to hell and back so I made one out of some 1/4 diamond plate steel but I would like to look into a nicer one for the motor.

2011-12-27_20-12-44_440.jpg

2011-12-15_15-13-43_364.jpg

Welcome to BansheeHq.com ...

nice machine.

Question 1

Did you think in a CoolHead ?

Question 2

I don´t like Toomey style filters, are very exposed, I prefer the original box with ProDesign filter.

Question 5:

Looks like parking brake switch...

Edited by mauro78

Overheating:

This is an issue. Make sure that the jetting is correct by doing a Plug Chop. If the jetting is correct look at some of the simple things that could restrict air flow such as a plugged radiator. Put some light behind the rad and see if it full of bugs, flies, dead stuff. If this checks out then you might want to look at getting Engine Ice. There are many types of different ones on the market but as long as it is not an additive then you should see results. I run it in my engines and they do run cooler. They also cool off faster. I would say that they run 10 - 20 degrees cooler than standard Glycol Antifreeze.

Intake:

If you are interested in removing the Air box then I would go with pod filters such as Uni Filters, Stock Airbox Filters, or K&N Universal Filters. K&N Filters can be purchased from Site Sponsors for great prices. If you call they will even help with the application and size for a direct bolt on to your Carbs. If you do this also get a cover for the filter or use oiled nylons, they work but i would spend the extra money and get the filter covers.

Wire:

That wire is for the TORS system. It should either go to the Throttle box or the Neutral Clutch switch. Its junk! Look at getting a TORS removal kit if your Banshee still has.

Skid Plate:

Nice job on the Fab of that Skid plate. if it works use it, why spend the money on something you really dont need. If you are looking to protect the linkage, just add some more metal to that one.

A-Arms:

Those are stock, cannot replace the ball joints : ( Stock ones from members on the site are cheaper though.

Good luck and nice looking Shee.

Adam

Thanks for the answers. I did see the cool heads but I thought it raised the compression which would in turn make it run hotter. Is the not right?

What size domes are good to run? This thing is fast enough for me (right now) so Im looking for something mayb as close to stock as I can get.

Overheating:

So I went out today and it overheated again. Its about 40-50 out so in the summer its going to be hell Im guessing. The radiator is clear. Today I took the cap off and saw it was low on coolant after it boiled over. The tank in the rear was still full. Shouldnt that have filled the radiator? If I read the plugs they are alittle rich but that would make it run cooler.

a cool head doesn't really lower operating temps. they will also not stop it from overheating.

i would suggest looking at your pilot jet. i will assume it is too small.

When I rebuilt the carb the jets had no markings but were bigger than the stock ones the came in the rebuild kit.

What should I be running for jetting?

FMF gnarly pipes

FMF power cores

K&N cone filter

Right now my mixture screws are turned out 3/4. The bike rips your arms off.

Edited by Jonny72888

What kind of gas you using? Oil and ratio? Plug? What is your timing at? What do your plugs look like after your ride? Have you done a leak down test? Next time level is low look good in radiator to see if there is gunk in the cores inside rad. Check hoses that they don't feel squishy soft. Lower hose on overflow bottle goes to rad, upper one is overflow. :cheers:

2.8 is not your pilot jet

ok, I just found a link showing how to take it all apart. Lets try this again.

So a 280 27.5 would be better than my 260 25 for my set up? I was looking at jetting kits but they all got bad reviews.

Im going to order

mains

pilots

Ill youtube how to tune it.

jetting2.jpg

without port work or anything like that 27.5 p should work ok.. where are you located? most of you yamaha dealers will have jets. ( if your in a pinch and want to go ride) other than that try ordering your jets from a site sponsor.. seems like I seen this banshee back when i was looking for a shee... you in the kansas city mo area by chance?