timing question

akelly000

Hey guys I have a quick question. A buddy took my cover off to check my timing, it was at +10!! He backed it down to +7. Still too high?? Compression is 145-150, 22cc domes, shitty pipes, pump gas.

If you are running pump gas I would start off with +4. +10 is pretty high on pump gas. Have you had any signs of detonation? What do your pistons look like?

- Jared

Top of pistons were blackened some with a little build up. Going from +7 to +4,,seems like I lost a little power,,,maybe. What if I get my compression up to around 175-180 with dome change and run 110. Should I go back to +7?

ported, not ported? carbs, jetting? fuel type? pipes? until all those are answered the timing is somewhat irrelevant. the timing you need will be a result of the entire set up AND the type of riding you do, which will determine the amout of lead time you need for your fuel burn.

keep in mind if you up the compression you will need to fuel for it, meaning octane and jetting. it's more complicated than just picking a number or using someone elses number!

ported, not ported? carbs, jetting? fuel type? pipes? until all those are answered the timing is somewhat irrelevant. the timing you need will be a result of the entire set up AND the type of riding you do, which will determine the amout of lead time you need for your fuel burn.

keep in mind if you up the compression you will need to fuel for it, meaning octane and jetting. it's more complicated than just picking a number or using someone elses number!

He is right on the money with this statement