Getting my first 'shee.

Weltall

Tear it down and split the cases. See what you really have in there and get rid of any surprises from the previous owner.

agree, bought mine dec 27 2010 and i rode it the first weekend i had it and it blew up...tore it down split the case put crank bearings and hot rod crank and all new top end and now i feel extremely safe now...down side still running stock head :cry:

Tearing down a bike that you just got seems a little extreme, especially for a guy whos just gonna want to ride. Spend 20 bucks and build a leakdown tester, and ensure their are no air leaks, and do all the basic stuff like cleaning the carbs, and filters, new gear oil and run with high octane gas etc.... That way youve got piece of mind for the basics anyway. When it blows up, theirs plenty of time to check whats inside the motor. You can be rest assured, it will eventually need a tear down for one reason or another.

In the meantime, read a pile on here. It was the sole reason I bought my 2nd shee after almost a 20 year lay off.

Enjoy the bike!

First thing you should do asap is take those pods off and put a airbox back in it and go thro the carbs and take the cleaning back to the reeds but dont take them out because you will half to replace the gaskets... in my opinion those pods are shee killers :shootself: i bought my banshee with them on it and took them off and put an airbox back on it and i didnt clean everyrhing out and i learned the hard way now i need a new top end now 300$ fix but with two strokes if you suck dirt into it from those pods its gonna get into your whole motor and it will mess it up.