alcohol how to convert lectron vs mikuni vs kehin pwk

banshee760

ok so i had 39 pwks bored to 41 on alcohol and it was a setup i just got from soem one else , fairly simple and easy to tune even for a beginer like me the bike ran awesome, at first i thought to convert pwk to alcohol one just needed to add a power jet, but i guess i was mistaken u also need to drill out something else right?(dump tube is it ??) so here is my thing do to financial sircumstances i sold that set .. now i was thinking of getting another set of carbs and me converting them to alcohol,im gonna buy em in a range of 39 to 41 ... i think 44 might be to big for my bike either way ....i want to know what do u actually have to do to these types of carbs (mikuni41,kehin pwk,lectron 40 ) to actually convert them to alcohol and where is the position of the power jet supposed to actually be at ???

what else do i have to drill out ?

what are ur guys input on the best power jet ?

and all in all what is the best carb to use ? i was tempted w the mikuni but the shops around here dont really like em? and jetting as far as lectron idk much about it yet .... my old setup had the main jet drilled out 120 thousands and had a 54 pilot on a true 350 banshee with alot of port work ... so same motor setup is going to be used ... inputs opinions facts welcome thankx guys looking forward to hear about this!!!!

ok so i had 39 pwks bored to 41 on alcohol and it was a setup i just got from soem one else , fairly simple and easy to tune even for a beginer like me the bike ran awesome, at first i thought to convert pwk to alcohol one just needed to add a power jet, but i guess i was mistaken u also need to drill out something else right?(dump tube is it ??) so here is my thing do to financial sircumstances i sold that set .. now i was thinking of getting another set of carbs and me converting them to alcohol,im gonna buy em in a range of 39 to 41 ... i think 44 might be to big for my bike either way ....i want to know what do u actually have to do to these types of carbs (mikuni41,kehin pwk,lectron 40 ) to actually convert them to alcohol and where is the position of the power jet supposed to actually be at ???

what else do i have to drill out ?

what are ur guys input on the best power jet ?

and all in all what is the best carb to use ? i was tempted w the mikuni but the shops around here dont really like em? and jetting as far as lectron idk much about it yet .... my old setup had the main jet drilled out 120 thousands and had a 54 pilot on a true 350 banshee with alot of port work ... so same motor setup is going to be used ... inputs opinions facts welcome thankx guys looking forward to hear about this!!!!

You'd probably be better off sending them to someone to get done unless you do some research and see what all is involved in the conversion. You can screw up a set of carbs pretty quick if done incorrectly. Especially the keihins where the dump-tube is non-removable. depending on your altitude, .120" on the dump tube is pretty big.

Here's a good starting point on keihin carbs....

drill dump tube anywhere from .116 to .120" depending on engine setup, elevation, etc etc

get a set of EG series needles. EGL is what I like, but I'm at a lot higher elevation than most folks, so my setups are usually different.

get yourself a big-ass pilot jet. 65-72 on most keihins is a good starting point, then work down.

I prefer my powerjets to open just above 1/2 throttle. I drill out the dump-tube on the power-jet and run custom cut needles in the power-jets.

get billet bowls!

Just get yourself a set of carbs and start off small on the drilling stuff out, you can always re-drill bigger if you need it. play with some different power-jets and power-jet options and see what you like. Its a learning curve for sure. I'm no pro. I blew up my fair share of top ends figuring it all out on my own. I didn't have anyone around me to show me what to do or give me any advice. I would do some more reading around the net and get as much info as you can before you start.

- Jared

bigred is right, .120 for a 350 sounds big but the needle profile will change how it acts with that as well. Get yourself a decent set of wire bits.

The lectrons take a different needle (metering rod) to get them in the ball park, compared to the gas needles. lectrons are originally set up to throttle response for the metering rod and the power jet does the work after that.

the pwk's seem to be some of the more forgiving carbs to tune with, .116 main/dump with the power jet wfo is usually where i started mine.

almost all carbs are going to need power jets and the power jets i would aim at getting are adjustable ones at least.

stock carbs have been converted without power jets.

bigred is right, .120 for a 350 sounds big but the needle profile will change how it acts with that as well. Get yourself a decent set of wire bits.

The lectrons take a different needle (metering rod) to get them in the ball park, compared to the gas needles. lectrons are originally set up to throttle response for the metering rod and the power jet does the work after that.

the pwk's seem to be some of the more forgiving carbs to tune with, .116 main/dump with the power jet wfo is usually where i started mine.

almost all carbs are going to need power jets and the power jets i would aim at getting are adjustable ones at least.

stock carbs have been converted without power jets.

thanx alot guys well were im at is a desert enviorement actually about 1 n half hour from glaims...... 120 thousands was what i had and as it might seem it was big for a 350 its no ordinary one it loved that much alcohol.... also the power jets were all the way open on them and as far as altitude we r at sea level here.. are mikunis and pwk similar cause of the jets on them? against lectrons that are needle type tuning !!!!thnx for the input guys lots of great help here

sorry and why da billet bowls is it just for the extra alcohol and beafore i was runing a pump wich i will do again on my future setup

you run almost 2 times the amount of alcohol over the course of a run, compared to gasolines.

running a pump will work also, a lot of people find it easier to just get a set of bowls instead of getting a pump.

• 1 month later...