Port by Nate Mccoy

Nate's custom recessed domes

35mm PWKs

Boysen carbon fiber reeds

CPI in frames

91 octane 32:1

NEW OEM coil

NEW CDI

Now, a mechanic is working on the bike, so here is what I can't tell you...

jetting

compression (But I KNOW it's good)

resistance

PROBLEM

Bike went through a thousand mile move from CA to WA where it sat for a year in a dark, wet garage. Put new carbs on it and it wouldnt start. Took plug wire off, put in tester plug... no spark. Replaced coil. Had spark, but not constant. Replaced CDI. Constant spark.

CURRENT SITUATION

Bike will start. Bike will run. Bike gets warm, Bike won't start. Pull off one plug wire and insert test plug, bike fires up on one cylinder. Touch test plug to real plug, second cylinder fires.

Needless to say, the mechanic is baffled.

I am lost!

If any one has any suggestions PLEASE let me know!

Here is what I can tell you...

I have...

94 banshee w/

+4 crank

Port by Nate Mccoy

Nate's custom recessed domes

35mm PWKs

Boysen carbon fiber reeds

CPI in frames

91 octane 32:1

NEW OEM coil

NEW CDI

Now, a mechanic is working on the bike, so here is what I can't tell you...

jetting

compression (But I KNOW it's good)

resistance

PROBLEM

Bike went through a thousand mile move from CA to WA where it sat for a year in a dark, wet garage. Put new carbs on it and it wouldnt start. Took plug wire off, put in tester plug... no spark. Replaced coil. Had spark, but not constant. Replaced CDI. Constant spark.

CURRENT SITUATION

Bike will start. Bike will run. Bike gets warm, Bike won't start. Pull off one plug wire and insert test plug, bike fires up on one cylinder. Touch test plug to real plug, second cylinder fires.

Needless to say, the mechanic is baffled.

I am lost!

If any one has any suggestions PLEASE let me know!

PM sent.

know what jets are in there? maybe something with the stator?

I will ask the mechanic what jets he has in and ask him for the compression numbers. He said the stator tested fine, but I also know that electrical is not his strong point.

You may have a ground problem. Make sure the coil ground is not rusted.. get a book with a wiring diagram and follow all ground connections and make sure they are connected and clean.

Mechanic said he double checked all the grounds, but I will go over it again.

Any other suggestions in the mean time?

Any help is appreciated!

have him check the pickup coil and the flywheel. if the flywheel pickups are rusty as shit then it can really throw things off. also check the pick up coil itself........i wonder if its a heat-sink type issue. stators CAN and HAVE been know to test within spec but be totally bad.....

After the bike sat in that garage which was NOT sealed from this "beautiful Washington winter weather"... Yes, that flywheel was rusted up and corroded, but is has been thoroughly cleaned. The pick up coil is at .018"

I was wondering about the stator. I have the stock stator on, but I have a RS stator that was working when I took it off, and the only reason that I took it off is because it is an RS stator. The pick up coil has been shaved down from being in contact with the pick ups on the flywheel. Maybe I try it..... just to see if I can rule out stator issues?? Or.... Maybe I wait until I've ruled out everything else. That RS stator has been sitting for a while in the same weather. I'm not sure how much I can trust it.

remove the stator, clean where it makes contact with the timing plate and re-install. remove the wire retainer from the back of the timing plate and do the same (engine ground) clean the bullet connectors and check the harness plugs. check the frame ground at the back where the voltage regulator mounts. make sure the coil mount is clean. make sure the flywheel magnets are still in place and evenly spaced. (screwdriver should stick to 12 even places on the inside of the flywheel. make sure you have new caps screwed on the plug wires. if you don't find it after that, then check the kill/key switches. i'm assuming the tors box is completely unplugged, and the wires not connected to anything...