Question About Head Studs

SteveCZ28

Im trying to put my shee together. and am having issues with the head studs. the only way im able to get the studs out of my old cylinders is with vice grips, as the double nut trick is not working in my situation...but putting the vice grips on the studs im really scoring/gouging them up, so i dont even want to mess with them. my question is where to get, or which head studs do i get? im still running a stock head on my bike. But just browsing ebay for them, theres so many different kinds...so im lost as to which type to get, as i dont want one set thats too long, or too short....

also when i do get the studs, what is the best way to install them? and will they go too far? or will the actually bottom out in the cylinder?

any info or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys

oh man you could try YAMAHA! if its stock cylinders and your using a stock style head..

the 2 in the front will be longer and will be a differnt part number. the other ones will be the same part number i use a stud installer to put them in and a dab of blue locktight on the stock cyls they will bottom out you dont have to do any rigging of them or putting them in a certain length and bla bla bla rigg stuff up..

i also use a stud remover but they will also gouge the threads a tad when you take them out..

oh man you could try YAMAHA! if its stock cylinders and your using a stock style head..

the 2 in the front will be longer and will be a differnt part number. the other ones will be the same part number i use a stud installer to put them in and a dab of blue locktight on the stock cyls they will bottom out you dont have to do any rigging of them or putting them in a certain length and bla bla bla rigg stuff up..

i also use a stud remover but they will also gouge the threads a tad when you take them out..

i dont have a local yamaha dealership to even ask them...so sorry if it was a dumbass question...the reason i ask this also is if i were to goto an aftermarket head, would it need a different set of studs also?? also i dont want to sound completly retarded, but how exactly does the stud installer/remover work???? becuase im seeing some that are installer/removers in one. ive never used one, so i honestly dont know...

what do you mean you can get them off using vice grips but not the double nut method? You ARE using a wrench on each of the nuts correct? how about trying heat.....like heat the cylinder up with a torch near where the studs goes into the cylinder.

also you can find the studs thru our site sponsors. i know jeff at FAST carries them....im sure kevin at hjr does also...

i dont have a local yamaha dealership to even ask them...so sorry if it was a dumbass question...the reason i ask this also is if i were to goto an aftermarket head, would it need a different set of studs also?? also i dont want to sound completly retarded, but how exactly does the stud installer/remover work???? becuase im seeing some that are installer/removers in one. ive never used one, so i honestly dont know...

Pro Design heads use different studs than the stock head, most of the other heads use stock studs. If you do need to use heat to get them out don't use very much, you don't want to warp anything. I would use a small propane torch.

Edited by bansheesandrider

what do you mean you can get them off using vice grips but not the double nut method? You ARE using a wrench on each of the nuts correct? how about trying heat.....like heat the cylinder up with a torch near where the studs goes into the cylinder.

also you can find the studs thru our site sponsors. i know jeff at FAST carries them....im sure kevin at hjr does also...

i tighten the 2 nuts down against each other and really crank on them to tighten them into each other, but when i goto unscrew the stiud by using the bottom nut all it does is spin both nuts on the stud backign the nuts them selves off the studs, and the stud doesnt even turn

this is the installer i use. dosent grip the threads and wont damage them at all. only one to use in my mind.. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0150 anyplace that can get you the studs should be able to order you that as well.

the remover/installer works fine to take them out. it will grip the threads adn will jack them up you can use a thread file OR use a thread die to clean them up a tad. usually i just use NEW studs whenever i can.

if your having problems figuring this all out got outside and look for an old guy or ask someone who works on automotive stuff they should be able to help you out if you heat the cyl up over 300D the alluminum can and will loose its temper adn you will have problems..