Quad runs somedays

willaduncan

I bought this quad about a week ago, I cranked it and rode it the day I purchasedit, it ran perfectly then I took a 3 hour drive back to my house pulled it off the trailer kicked and kicked but it wouldnt start so I got pissed put it up to try later, the next day I came home from work it started in 1 or 2 kicks rode it around and lost the idler screw so I parked it with fuel off all switched off, I just got the new one in today, put it in kicked several times and again nothing it wouldnt start, i dont think it needs a rebuild or anything the engine was bored .02 and rebuilt topend not to long ago from what the seller had told me I ran through the ENTIRE electrical system tonight cleaned all connections checked grounds everything is perfect, pulled the air filters to check if carbs are clean and in sync they checked out fuel is new only about a week old mixed 40:1 yamalube Key is switched ON kill switch to ON fuel to ON choke half way fuel is getting to carbs checked spark by pulling plug and grounding it put brand new plugs in Im at a loss of what to do Im very new to 2 strokes but am decent when it comes to most mechanic work any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Bike has the following, FMF gold fattys and silencers, VITOS cool head w/ 21 cc domes running 93 oct pump gas w/ 40:1 yamalube, VForce 2 reeds TORS delete, K&N filter pods with outerwears BR8ES plugs NEW thats all from what the previous owner said PLEASE HELP SO I CAN RIDE!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

Edited by willaduncan

Just an update for you I cleaned the carbs one at a time they were pretty clean surprisingly before i touched them, then re-assembled them the same way they came apart put the slide in with the half moon towards the air filters, kicked probably 50 - 100 times and still nothing. I then checked the compression got a 140 in right cylinder and 136 in the left side as your riding the quad, I think thats about right from what I have been reading on here so I just took it in to a local mom and pop shop in town he is gonna look into it tomorrow so we will see, weirdest part is as soon as I unloaded it at his shop to show him how it "wouldnt" start it fired up on the third kick? I know i should take the time to fool with it myself but partly with it being new to me Id like to get it a clean bill of health since im new to 2-strokes and ill just learn once i know everything is fine and if it stops running i know that I DID something wrong lol so thanks for your help man Ill let you know what the mechanic says about what was wrong with the bike.

Just an update for you I cleaned the carbs one at a time they were pretty clean surprisingly before i touched them, then re-assembled them the same way they came apart put the slide in with the half moon towards the air filters, kicked probably 50 - 100 times and still nothing. I then checked the compression got a 140 in right cylinder and 136 in the left side as your riding the quad, I think thats about right from what I have been reading on here so I just took it in to a local mom and pop shop in town he is gonna look into it tomorrow so we will see, weirdest part is as soon as I unloaded it at his shop to show him how it "wouldnt" start it fired up on the third kick? I know i should take the time to fool with it myself but partly with it being new to me Id like to get it a clean bill of health since im new to 2-strokes and ill just learn once i know everything is fine and if it stops running i know that I DID something wrong lol so thanks for your help man Ill let you know what the mechanic says about what was wrong with the bike.

140 and 136 sounds like you've got something like a cool head or a shaved head in there....

If you have an extra CDI, swap it out. At least check the spark on both sides, and make sure it keeps sparking for 5 kicks on both sides. Mine used to do the exact same thing with weather changes, and all kinds of crap. Id pull it off the truck out in the desert, it would start right up, then after it was warm it wouldnt start without pulling it. It was really random. Replaced the cdi and it started 1st or 2nd kick everytime since. just my 2c. :cheers:

edit: i did take it to alba in the middle of all this, so they could charge me 100 bucks to change the spark plug caps, bastards robbed me.

Edited by apeik

I told yall i would let yall know what was wrong with the bike when I figured out, and the carb choke plunger is jacked up and it wasnt choking properly which is why it was or wasnt firing up on certain days so the mechanic afro engineered it until i can buy a new one any one know where the cheapest I can get one? I found one online for 31 dollars.

I told yall i would let yall know what was wrong with the bike when I figured out, and the carb choke plunger is jacked up and it wasnt choking properly which is why it was or wasnt firing up on certain days so the mechanic afro engineered it until i can buy a new one any one know where the cheapest I can get one? I found one online for 31 dollars.

Call Jeff at FAST RACING.....he's usually got some good used ones in stock for this reason. i THINK he charges around $20 for them.....