bare pipes?

Banshee Chad

So I have my cpi inframes high heat black. Problem is, it comes off first 6 or so inches and the rest always gets sand stuck to it when it gets hot and tacky.

So, I'm thinking of stripping them and leaving raw. Anyone do this, and what kinda maintenance is required? Just wipe down with wd40 after each ride trip?

So I have my cpi inframes high heat black. Problem is, it comes off first 6 or so inches and the rest always gets sand stuck to it when it gets hot and tacky.

So, I'm thinking of stripping them and leaving raw. Anyone do this, and what kinda maintenance is required? Just wipe down with wd40 after each ride trip?

I would look into get them high temp coated. I know some powdecoaters that will do the job for you. Its the same paint they use on car exhaust headers.

NOS350X I believe had a hookup to get them ceramic coated.

Also, send a PM to John at JL Engineering (jlengineering). He re-chromes used pipes for VERY reasonable prices. Some of the best chrome I've ever seen.

NOS350X I believe had a hookup to get them ceramic coated.

Also, send a PM to John at JL Engineering (jlengineering). He re-chromes used pipes for VERY reasonable prices. Some of the best chrome I've ever seen.

Thanks.. but everyone has Chrome tho. I'm trying to stay as little bling as possible without blacking it out (which seems to be popular too).

I like how the pipes look bare, just wondering if its a lot of work to keep em from rotting away. Can u polish steel like aluminum?

if your cooking 1200 degree paint you may be a tad lean.

also i have had bare pipes in the past they are not that hard to take care off. scotch brite pad and some rust preventer like wd-40 or that white/ yellow can of stuff works fine. ab out ounce every 6 months i would remove the pipe completely and scotch the whole thing. hot months in the summer snow on the ground in the winter..

Well this last time I painted them, it didn't cook off, but gets tacky the first few rides and sand sticks to them.

What to use for stripping?

Hey chad. I was just thinking about something. I know VHT paint requires heat cycles to "cure" the paint. I wonder if that BBQ paint has the same thing?

I would go to home depot or lowes, they sell an aerosol can of stuff called "Kleen strip". I believe it's in a red/gold can. That stuff works awesome. You spray it on, and the paint will bubble and peel right off. I've used it on powdercoat, and paint. The can is like 5 bucks, and will be more than enough to strip both pipes. Maybe even twice if you mess up on the new paintjob...

Hey chad. I was just thinking about something. I know VHT paint requires heat cycles to "cure" the paint. I wonder if that BBQ paint has the same thing?

I would go to home depot or lowes, they sell an aerosol can of stuff called "Kleen strip". I believe it's in a red/gold can. That stuff works awesome. You spray it on, and the paint will bubble and peel right off. I've used it on powdercoat, and paint. The can is like 5 bucks, and will be more than enough to strip both pipes. Maybe even twice if you mess up on the new paintjob...

Thanks man, ill try to strip em, pre heat and paint again, then run a couple heat cycles..

Hope it works. Thanks again!