yfz450 banshee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like some pretty extensive welding going on beside the clutch cover. No leaks or anything?

No leaks this engine came out of a parts bike i bought for 450 it ran and shifted through the gears i am working on getting it together so it can be ridden. if i like it then i will worry about the cases powder coat etc.

Who knows it might ride like crap.

I've been considering a build like this, quite a bit actually. Since nobody will produce a modern 2 stroke race/play quad, I figured why not just make my own. One thing I have been wondering is, what is the weight difference between a stock 350 Shee engine and a modern 450 racer engine. And also how much weight does moving up to a 421 serval or 485 Cheetah add to a stock 350 engine?

Thanks,

Lonny

I've been considering a build like this, quite a bit actually. Since nobody will produce a modern 2 stroke race/play quad, I figured why not just make my own. One thing I have been wondering is, what is the weight difference between a stock 350 Shee engine and a modern 450 racer engine. And also how much weight does moving up to a 421 serval or 485 Cheetah add to a stock 350 engine?

Thanks,

Lonny

Not sure on the weight issue. However you are removing the battery harness air box and several other things from the yfz chassis. We are beginning to cut and manipulate the t5 pipes to fit then they will get tiged just like the frame this chassis came with a blown aprt 450 engine. i am not sure on the weight

Edited by alongfortheride

I don't know if it's been done or tried already, but props to ya for choppin' it up and trying it. I seriously hope it works out and isn't too nose heavy. You'll damn sure stand out in a crowd!!

Good luck, I'll be watchin'.. wish I was helping!

Lonny

lonny please check out my thread on this very modification.. i looked at every possible option and decided on some faily major frame modifications instead of simply easy.

at least the rear motor mounts you have here look decent!!

did you check your chain alignment?

lonny please check out my thread on this very modification.. i looked at every possible option and decided on some faily major frame modifications instead of simply easy.

at least the rear motor mounts you have here look decent!!

did you check your chain alignment?

I had a 450 enigne with a hole throught the bottom. We installed that engine. then we made a template and cut a chunk of 1/4 inch plate which bolted on the countershfat where the sprocket would then we bolted that fixture into several different spots on the frame. we took some measurements etc. removed the engine and then determined the placement of the banshee angine we then bored a hole in the same 1/4 inch plate and hung the engine. before we did that we did reinstall the yfz engine. the plate was inline. we removed engine and installed the swing arm spacer and torqued swing arm bolt. the spacer measured 2.538n inches. then we installed the banshee motor. We removed the front mounts completely and reworked shortened positioned etc to work with the stock banshee motor mount plates. We also built a lower cross member and used stock banshee lower snubbers and mounts to boot. i will post some pics if any one is interested. link me to your thread

I wouldn't have relied on some plate and measurements to get the motor in there straight. I would have put the swingarm on and run the chain from the motor to the rear sprocket and checked alignment that way.

Just by looking at the rear shot you have, the motor is way too high in the frame. The center of the sprocket should be lined up with the center of the swingarm pivot tube. It looks to me that you're going to have chain issues.

Do you have a shot of the sprocket side?

I wouldn't have relied on some plate and measurements to get the motor in there straight. I would have put the swingarm on and run the chain from the motor to the rear sprocket and checked alignment that way.

Just by looking at the rear shot you have, the motor is way too high in the frame. The center of the sprocket should be lined up with the center of the swingarm pivot tube. It looks to me that you're going to have chain issues.

Do you have a shot of the sprocket side?

i have posted this info just to show how i have done it. i would not have cut main tube structure out of the frame to make it easy like others have done either but do you see me critizing them the 1/4 inch plate is the same exact thickness as a sprocket with in .010 the motor has been installed and chain alignment checked several times. the swing arm was on before this picture was taken.

i have posted this info just to show how i have done it. i would not have cut main tube structure out of the frame to make it easy like others have done either but do you see me critizing them the 1/4 inch plate is the same exact thickness as a sprocket with in .010 the motor has been installed and chain alignment checked several times. the swing arm was on before this picture was taken.

There is no reason not to cut those front factory frame rails out. They are in the way plain and simple. You are going to have issues getting your pipes to fit because of them. Cutting them out would not have weakened the integrity of the frame at all and they would have allowed for a much cleaner pipe install.

So you installed the swingarm, rear sprocket and ran a chain between it and the motor? If not, I would almost put money on you have chain alignment issues. It doesn't take much to throw a chain.

I am criticizing the work because first and foremost, you posted it on my public forum for the whole world to see. Furthermore, I have built two conversion bikes and I know what it takes to build them.

I think it's funny that you think cutting out the front rails is half assing it and taking the easy way out but rigging up some plate to check motor alignment instead of putting the swingarm on with a sprocket and chain is not.

There is no reason not to cut those front factory frame rails out. They are in the way plain and simple. You are going to have issues getting your pipes to fit because of them. Cutting them out would not have weakened the integrity of the frame at all and they would have allowed for a much cleaner pipe install.

So you installed the swingarm, rear sprocket and ran a chain between it and the motor? If not, I would almost put money on you have chain alignment issues. It doesn't take much to throw a chain.

I am criticizing the work because first and foremost, you posted it on my public forum for the whole world to see. Furthermore, I have built two conversion bikes and I know what it takes to build them.

I think it's funny that you think cutting out the front rails is half assing it and taking the easy way out but rigging up some plate to check motor alignment instead of putting the swingarm on with a sprocket and chain is not.

Whatever dude i have hung a chain on it and it will be fine. thanks for all the quality advice. have a nice day