Electrical Issues .... help please

So -- I was riding at the Silver lake Sand Dunes -- Banshee was running like a top .... after about 2 hours then it bogged to a stall.

Couldn't get it to start -- and after about 25 kicks ... it started. I decided to leave for the day since I had trouble restarting it - rode it about 2 minutes towards the exit & couldn't even ride it out of the dunes.

It bogged out again and had to be towed to the parking lot.

I got it home & took the carbs off and cleaned them throughly -- because I thought maybe sand got in them. Nope -- wouldn't start.

Tested spark to the plugs & NOTHING! No spark -- put new plugs in & still nothing.

I started moving the front wiring around to make sure everything was connected properly & felt a small spark. So I think it's something electrical.

I changed the CDI, voltage regulator, coil, etc... and still no spark.

I still have the "Key" --- and thought maybe i should bypass it & hot wire it?

Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks!

So -- I was riding at the Silver lake Sand Dunes -- Banshee was running like a top .... after about 2 hours then it bogged to a stall.

Couldn't get it to start -- and after about 25 kicks ... it started. I decided to leave for the day since I had trouble restarting it - rode it about 2 minutes towards the exit & couldn't even ride it out of the dunes.

It bogged out again and had to be towed to the parking lot.

I got it home & took the carbs off and cleaned them throughly -- because I thought maybe sand got in them. Nope -- wouldn't start.

Tested spark to the plugs & NOTHING! No spark -- put new plugs in & still nothing.

I started moving the front wiring around to make sure everything was connected properly & felt a small spark. So I think it's something electrical.

I changed the CDI, voltage regulator, coil, etc... and still no spark.

I still have the "Key" --- and thought maybe i should bypass it & hot wire it?

Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks!

Might be the key switch, most guys remove it.

Might also be a bad ground.

wait......you were moving wires around trying to get it to start? as in the stator was not spinning so your chanrging system was not running so your bike shouldn't have been producing electricity?

did you actually see the spark....or did you actually just FEEL the spark. could it have been an old plastic tie on a wire loom or could it have been the old tape that crunched cause its all dry rotted now and that's what you though you felt through a wire?

wait......you were moving wires around trying to get it to start? as in the stator was not spinning so your chanrging system was not running so your bike shouldn't have been producing electricity?

did you actually see the spark....or did you actually just FEEL the spark. could it have been an old plastic tie on a wire loom or could it have been the old tape that crunched cause its all dry rotted now and that's what you though you felt through a wire?

Hmmmm - great point!

I could feel a spark --- I didn't actually see one. I will check it out today.

my first suggestion is to keep shit simple.....id start with a simple compression test and see what you get. if one cylinder is way lower than the other.....or if both cylinders are below 90 psi you found your culprit. do that test first and then let us know what your test shows.

remember.....screw in tester, hold throttle wide open.....kick til guage stops going up (may even take 20 kicks)

2 most common in this case- the wires melted on the exhaust, usually at the side of the airbox, or where it would be, and te 2nd- the kieyswitch wire connection. i had this last year myself, and have seen allot with it- the wires, which move allot with steering, can start to break off the keyswitch solder joints. pull the keyswitch off and see how well it is connected to the wires. i just re-solderd mine back on. if you want to bypass, it's the red/black to ground(black) in the harness, or the 2 smaller gauge wires on the keyswitch side of the plug. also, sounds like possibly a bad stator. ohm it out on the red & green and red/white& green/white wires. last, check your coil ohms, and caps

I have been messing with this for days now --- and i do see spark.

I took everything apart again -- carbs, reeds, etc ---- put it back together & nothing.

I left the filter off and sprayed gas right into the carb intakes & it friggin fired up first kick!!! What the hell??

I emptied my gas tank thinking maybe I have old gas in it or something.

Will try to start it again today.

More to come......

as stated actually TEST the electrical if yolur not sure how either buy a manual OR find some old guy that bitches about how the things are these days and ask him.. OR find a shop that actually works on banshee's adn see if anyone in there is wirth a shit..

2nd if you spray gas in i t and it starts you have NO fuel. either turn the gas on OR check the fuel lines for fuel FLOW. if they have flow remove the carbs and take OUT the floats and the needle and seats adn BLOW compressed air through them..

if NO flow remove the petcock and clean it out.. clean off the fuel filters in the tank.