Best Jetting For My Banshee?

Dont Know Much About Jetting,

I want To Know What Jetting Setting I Should Use,

I have A 93' Banshee With FMF Fatty Gold Series Exhaust and I'm Using 2 Clamp-On K&N Filters, And My Elevation is 101 Feet, But i'm going to be riding in december at 450 feet! so what setting should i use for both?

Dont Know Much About Jetting,

I want To Know What Jetting Setting I Should Use,

I have A 93' Banshee With FMF Fatty Gold Series Exhaust and I'm Using 2 Clamp-On K&N Filters, And My Elevation is 101 Feet, But i'm going to be riding in december at 450 feet! so what setting should i use for both?

Thanks for the replies -_- lol

Put in a little effort and do some research. Every banshee jets differently so if I were to tell you to try X main, X pilot, and X needle in X position.... it sounds like you'd set it there and never plug chop it.

Why do you think you need to rejet? Did you just install these parts? Getting hot or pinging? Fouling plugs? I don't deal with Mikunis (Keihin PWKs) but the concept should be the same. First, sync the carbs and set your idle up to around 1800-2000rpm. Turn the air screw in or out and listen for the engine to rev up. When you turn it too far the idle should come back down a hair. If you have said screw turned less than one turn or more than three you'll need the next smaller/larger pilot jet and then repeat the process. The point it revs highest is your setting (I always set this to err on the slightly rich side). Next I focus on the main jet. Your best bet is to jet a few sizes richer than what currently is installed (unless you suspect you're already rich), then plug chop your way to happiness working one or two jet sizes smaller at a time. Lastly, I jet the part throttle portion of the carb (the needle jet) by feel. How crisp the throttle is, and how "zingy" or "throaty" it sounds. A rich condition usually results in hesitation before pulling or a bog. Lean conditions make the engine "zingy" and sound snappy under no load but just doesn't seem to have the nut it should. I've only once needed to purchase different profile needles for my carbs. Remember to sync your carbs whenever you play with them. 9 times out of 10 once they are set the first time they will still pull the same vacuum after being tampered with, but it takes two seconds to make sure. All in all, it requires a little patience and effort but properly jetting the carbs isn't "what settings do I run?".

There are a bunch of articles that go into more detail and there are a ton of posts in the jetting and exhaust forum for you to scroll through. You should be able to find detailed procedures and other banshee owners with similar or exact mods as you to get you in the ballpark as far as jetting.

What's your current jetting?

Start with 300 or 310 mains, 30 pilot, stock needle middle clip, air screws 2.5 out. Depending on where your riding in December you will need to adjust your jetting according to the temperature. It will be colder in the winter so you will need to run a bigger main jet.

Also read this article, it will give you some knowledge about jetting - http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23546

Edited by dEcon

• 2 weeks later...

Some good info Gotta_GoFast. Just remember to start by only making one change at a time and see how it responds. Start by warming up the engine to full operating temp and see how the Main Jet "feels" (full throttle). If you can't tell by feel....after engine is warmed up, install new plugs, haul ass in 3rd gear and rev it out for about 5 seconds straight, immediately hit the kill switch and come to stop, pull the spark plugs and read them (or do a plug chop). (google how to read a spark plug in a two stroke). After you get them main jets set, then work your way down to the needle, and then pilot. The needle jet affects the "half throttle" and pilot affects idle to 1/8th throttle or so. You have to do it in that order though cause changing the mains after setting the other two will change everything slightly.

Always start on the fat side, plugs are cheaper than pistons. You have to do a little research to learn about the process, even the Clmers manual has a section and a good diagram showing which circut affects which throttle opening. You could have two supposedly identical banshees sitting side by side and they might tune slightly different.

Read that stickied thread "What jets are you running" Find a set-up simular and use it as starting point. My set-up: Unported 4mil, head spacer, FMF golds, +4 timing key. 310, 27.5 , 3rd notch, 1 1/2 turns. 900' , 80 *f :cheers: