powdercoating stock a arms

UPbansheeRacer

i want my stock a arms powdercoated really bad i do all the powdercoating myself and everything on my bike is done in silver and black i read that if you have the ball joint facing up in the oven and its flat then the plastic inside will melt but it will harden back up and be like nothing ever happened what do you guys think? its alot cheaper then buying new a arms...i have a bent junk arm that im going to try it on but is it worth doing to my good ones?

i want my stock a arms powdercoated really bad i do all the powdercoating myself and everything on my bike is done in silver and black i read that if you have the ball joint facing up in the oven and its flat then the plastic inside will melt but it will harden back up and be like nothing ever happened what do you guys think? its alot cheaper then buying new a arms...i have a bent junk arm that im going to try it on but is it worth doing to my good ones?

i dont really think you should be putting plastic in a 400 degree oven but that my 02

I have never found anyone that would powder coat factory a arms because the grease will run, no matter what position it's in.

Give it a try on the junk one and let us know how it goes. My guess is it won't but you could be the first.

P.S. No need to post the same thing in more than one place. It'll get some people angry, you don't want to see them angry.

Edited by vifferman

I have never found anyone that would powder coat factory a arms because the grease will run, no matter what position it's in.

Give it a try on the junk one and let us know how it goes. My guess is it won't but you could be the first.

P.S. No need to post the same thing in more than one place. It'll get some people angry, you don't want to see them angry.

just making sure i get some answers from a variety of people to see what they think i seen one guy on here that did his when i powdercoat some more stuff tuesday im just gona throw in the junk one and see what it does the grease shouldnt be a problem if i clean it out good i took all the rubber off them and cleaned them all up

just making sure i get some answers from a variety of people to see what they think i seen one guy on here that did his when i powdercoat some more stuff tuesday im just gona throw in the junk one and see what it does the grease shouldnt be a problem if i clean it out good i took all the rubber off them and cleaned them all up

Sounds like a good plan.

Like I said before, let us know how it goes.

The short answer. No you can't. As others mentioned, the plastic will melt and the ball joint will be sloppy loose. I cringe when I see people selling "powder coated A arms". The long answer, yes it can be done with a lot of work. I did it to a set of J arms and lower A arms. I ground away the crimp and removed the ball joints. Then I machined internally threaded rings and made a jig to align them over the ball joint socket and had my tig welding guy weld them on. Then I machined thin threaded allen plugs to hold the ball joint together after powder coating. All this only sticks up about 1/4". These arms and the jig are presently for sale. If you want them, you could cut the rings off the J arms and have them tig welded to your upper A arms. I want $200 + shipping for them.